Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX

godman

godman you need to setup a DMX universe in lor network preferance's you also need a DMX dongle

So this type of equipment would be just like setting up a DMX pixel string as far as the universe goes? I would need a controller with a dongle? Would this controller be the same type as I would use for pixel string such as a P12S/X card

Dennis, do you know of a dmx dongle, that can be purchased, which will work with the P12S/X card? I was interested in a snow machine which also has the same DMX connnection required.

Edited by dgrant

Yeah, I fgured that out. Its a difference in terminology. What is required is an adapter to connect from the P12S/X RJ45 DMX port to whatever type of DMX device is being run, then configuring the DMX port on the card itself.

IMHO keep it simple. Dennis pegged it. Just use a DMX Dongle. Buy a LOR USB485, DMX King Ultra Micro, or Enttec Open. I know there are others out there, but I have been hearing all sorts of issues with other DMX adaptors. My take on this is that everyone says they are "Enttec Compatible or knockoff" Well, there can be problems trying to create that knockoff.

Even if you decide to go E1.31 later on, there is no pain in keeping a traditional DMX universe alongside LOR and E1.31, so your investment can be preserved.

The other assumption is that you have S3 to output DMX. If you don't, you need it.