Light-O-Rama Forums

Outdoor case supplied by LOR/PC

Christmas_time_karl_UK

The outdoor casing supplied as an extra, will this prevent water getting inside or condensation? I am rather worried about leaving the controller outside in it espically now that it is cold here in england.

Your views welcomed

Many Thanks

Karl

No, the outdoor case will not prevent condensation. As with all outdoor cases, the best method is to install the case such that any water that happens to get inside will drain out the bottom.

I once tried to install a GFCI outlet beneath ground level by attempting to waterproof everything. This effort failed.

Condensation will happen when air is cooled lower than the "dew point." This is the temperature at which the relative humidity reaches 100%. This normally happens when warm, moist air is cooled at night when the temperature falls.

Condensation cannot form on a surface if the temperature of the surface is above the temperature of the air. If you leave your LOR units powered, then the air inside the cases will be warmer than the air outside. Even when no lights ore turned on, the voltage regulators and other circuitry in the units will generate enough heat to prevent condensation.

Guest wbottomley

Steven wrote:

Condensation will happen when air is cooled lower than the "dew point."

Being a Meteorologist, the air temperature can cool to the dew point temperature but not lower. If this ever happens... hello Houston, we have a MAJOR problem!

Mountainwxman wrote:

... the air temperature can cool to the dew point temperature but not lower. If this ever happens... hello Houston, we have a MAJOR problem!

Good point. Then the air would be super-saturated, which can't happen.

If the board does get wet, the GFCI and/or fuse could catch it. If not the board could stop working. Also in your case, have the lid/top positioned so that water will run to the sides and drain out holes in the bottem.

--Daniel L

• 3 weeks later...

Steven wrote:

Condensation will happen when air is cooled lower than the "dew point." This is the temperature at which the relative humidity reaches 100%. This normally happens when warm, moist air is cooled at night when the temperature falls.

Condensation cannot form on a surface if the temperature of the surface is above the temperature of the air. If you leave your LOR units powered, then the air inside the cases will be warmer than the air outside. Even when no lights ore turned on, the voltage regulators and other circuitry in the units will generate enough heat to prevent condensation.

Should I not leave my LOR units powered on all the time? I live in the north and it does get cold. However, they are underneath my house.