Light-O-Rama Forums

Pigtails

Steelers95

I would like to buy some pigtails for my ws2811 pixel strips. Im assuming that I need 3 core pigtails since there is only three wires on the ws2811 pixel strips. Ive been looking around and have found that aliexpress has the best prices, is this a repuitable website or is there another website that I should buy these from?

I would suggest you get 45 CM length, as I found the 20 CM to be just enough to get them outside an enclosure on the controller end with no room to spare.  ( I think "CM" is the proper unit of length - though I could be wrong.)   If I had to do it again, I would also consider buying extensions and just cutting it into 2 pieces to create a connector. 

Steve

45 cm is about 18 inches (17.71). 20 cm is less than eight inches. By the time you solder and stuff, 20 cm is, in my opinion, kind of close to do much with. Although if it's too long, you're always dealing with excess cabling, so YMMV.

I kid of wish now that I got 4-core (4-conductor) because then I would have one common set of extensions, adapters, etc. on the 4-conductor ones it would simply have the clock line not used.

Be careful! not all "3-core" connectors will fit each other. (Learned that the hard way :( )

There is lots of information in these forums on this subject. Search around and you will find it.

But, for me I use a sans controller and I have both dumb and smart RGB in the yard. To make my life easier I use only 4 pin pigtails so I can use the same extensions in my yard and minimize needed components which helps with storage, setup and breakdown.

On the link below there is a pin out used on sans devices. I follow this so I match others as much as possible to make it more plug and play. 2811's don't need a clock so on those pixels I just cut the clock cable and solder the other 3 as required. And most my pixels (and extensions) comes from Ray so at least I match his pin out.

On the controller side I connect all 4 conductors so if I ever need to use that output for a clock signal I am ready to go. With 2811's there would be nothing on that line. But it is still important not to have a short on this cable. So be sure to take care of the connector at the lights.

Yes, it is one conductor not being used. But for me the added conveniences makes it worth it.

For other controllers, I would bet the pin out is the same.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/100pcs-DC12V-input-IP68-WS2811-LED-pixel-light-all-black-wire-with-Sandevices-controller-s-standard/701799_1619571488.html

• The topic was locked