Light-O-Rama Forums

16' "Mega" pixel tree or 8' "Accent" pixel tree?

Al Saunders

Hi Everyone,

So let me start by saying I love LOR equipment, software and customer service (hence posting on their forum). I recently got a $25 gift certificate to Seasonal Entertainment at the NJ EPIC and knew that $25 would cost me much more than it'll save. :P

Anyway, I currently have 3 CCR's along with my normal AC controllers and haven't given much thought to any major RGB prop(s). But I see they have a complete pixel kit for $800 that includes an e682 controller, 16 strings of 50 pixels and power supply. I use and love Superstar with currently the 4 CCR license and have no interest in learning another software program other than whatever is coming down the line from LOR incorporating xlights.

My question is would there be much difference in programming in SS a 16' pixel tree that has single strands or an 8' pixel tree that would have 32 strings? I would most likely go with the 180 degree tree and have the strings halved at the top. I know the 8' would give me more definition but how hard is it to sequence this? Also I've never done ANYTHING with DMX and I think this package only uses DMX  signals so a little intimidated by the whole DMX thing.

I'd appreciate any advise given.

Thanks,

Al

It's all in the Visualizer set-up. 16x50 is the easiest to set up and sequence. Especially because there are countless sequences out there for purchase. I have a 16x50 and a 24x25 and the former is a lot easier to use in Superstar. Either way, you'll need the 24 CCR license to sequence either. Also, images look better on a 16x50 too. It really comes down to personal preference, but, since it's July, and you're just getting started, my advice would be to do the 16x50. You're running up against little time to get it done for this year. It of course, can be done, but you'll need to spend much time on this thing. If the rest of your show is done, the pixel tree will be no problem. If you still have to get the rest of the show ready, I would think about adding it to your 2015 show. Just IMHO. I'm not trying to deter you by no means, I just know how much time it takes.

• Like 1

I did a 32x26 the first year. Last year I did the standard 12x50. I liked the 12x50 much better. This year I plan on a 16x50. Like Ron said, if you plan on putting images on it the the 12x50 works much better. The added bonus like Ron also mentioned is there are plenty of sequences for either a 12 or 16 by 50 tree out there to purchase. They are worth every penny in time saved.

+1--- I went 20 feet with 84 pixels and 16 strings. It's a beast of a tree and does take a lot of editing to make a 16x50 work on it. Hours are spent on it but it does a great job with gif's and pictures.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Messer

Thanks for the tips guys. So would I sequence in Superstar (after license upgrade), export to Sequence Editor and if I use the equipment from Seasonal Entertainment that seems to only run on DMX then have the channels for the tree be DMX device?

I am looking ahead to 2015 as unfortunately our move has been delayed so I won't be able to do my show this year. The only thing I have in mind quickly is I was thinking of having a family bon fire/cook out mid September as my wife and niece both have birthdays in September and put together a few song mixes and surprise the family with this tree. Other than my wife I don't think anyone else in my family has ever seen a pixel tree/matrix and what it can do.

So is the DMX thing hard to learn? I have seen the videos on Seasonal Entertainments website and plan to view them again.

Thanks again,

Al

Hop on over to the Nutcracker/xLights forums.

Literally in an hour you can download the software, create a 16x50 tree model and sequence a few songs.

You can even import your already created LOR sequences and ADD your pixel tree to them. You can even have xLights control your LOR controllers.

Many folks including myself are LOR converts that use Nutcracker.   This is the software that LOR purchased the code for and perhaps will be in the upcoming release of Showtime as they've fallen behind for pixel sequencing per se.

I will say that while Nutcracker can create many cool effects, it is more of a Choreographer vs a Sequencer.  It does not yet have the grid like programming as LOR does.

Here is a sample from the author of Nutcracker Sean 

These effects are defaults that you can use and modify to you taste. It looks like he is real time selecting the effects on his computer with "Output to lights" selected to see how they'll look.   That's what I'm doing right now too!

He has 80+ videos on Vimeo that should get you going in the right direction.

Good luck!

Steve

Edited by flyinverted
  • Like 1

Thanks Steve,

I had thought of doing the Nutcracker thing for this family get together. In looking over the Nutcracker versus Superstar and LOR in general I am realizing the Nutcracker is more of an effects generator as opposed to a sequencing software. I am still not sure which I will stick with for my Christmas show next year but I am going to go with the 16X50 pixel tree being 8" tall. I also plan to build a new 22' Mega Tree LED tree (non RGB) as a center piece to my display and have this pixel tree as an accent. I plan to keep reading up on DMX and adding this prop to my sequences I already have. I'm not really worried about channel count as I am planning on keeping most of my display non RGB and only having a few things be RGB. I still like regular LED strings and even a few incans thrown in the mix.

I really appreciate the help guys!

Al