Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting controller to PC

ericg2000

Not sure if I'm in the right section but here goes; last year we were in a rent house and I only had one controller connected to a laptop in me garage. It worked out ok.

We bought a house back in March plus I added 2 more controllers for this year. I now have a detached garage that sits back a little. I'm going to place my controllers on my front porch this year. But I do not want to leave a laptop outside lol. And I'm not sure I want to get a mp3 director or not. I'm looking for suggestions on how to connect the outdoor controllers to the inside PC. I have an outdoor reciptical there that I thought I could mabe use as a passage way through to the living room. Any other ideas? I want something perminate since I'll be here for years.

Buy a falcon pi player. Stand alone show player. Mounted in a waterproof container right next to your controller.

For the decorating season, simply run the cat 5 cable from your computer, outside, and to your first controller.  People here use many methods of getting the cat 5 outside but overall it isn't that hard. 

Yes this is my second year with it. Best addition to my show by far. Inexpensive and easy to setup. I was able to control everything from my smart phone during setup.

I keep my laptop in the garage and run cat5 out under the garage door to the controllers. Works like a charm for 8 years now.

Robo where did you get it from? I looked at the fpp forum briefly. Do you just a rasberry pi and load the falcon software?

Yes, you need the pi, and sd card for the image(program) to be stored on. A usb memory stick to store your sequences and audio/video. And a usb power adaptor. Just Google raspberry pi player under shopping. You can even buy everything as a package deal. I think my pi was $35. Some upcoming update will sync video with the lights (just added)and you'll be able to connect more then one pi together.

Edited by robo

I have 5 networks and run 5 cables from a spare room out the window (I use foam to seal the rest of the window)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

LMAO !! 5 NETWORKS FOR 1 CHANNEL ! Opps.... Caps lock, J/K

Paul, roughly, how many lights ? (rough guess).

Greg

LMAO !! 5 NETWORKS FOR 1 CHANNEL ! Opps.... Caps lock, J/K

Paul, roughly, how many lights ? (rough guess).

Greg

Over 20,000

The 5 networks are over kill

Over 20,000

The 5 networks are over kill

AWSOME.... I hope to be in Edmonchuck this winter, care for a visitor (Coffee or Beer ?)

Greg

AWSOME.... I hope to be in Edmonchuck this winter, care for a visitor (Coffee or Beer ?)

Greg

Let me know when you will be here !