Light-O-Rama Forums

Relay for wiper motor

dkoehler42

It's been almost a year now, but yeah.  I think there were random flashes in addition to channels not turning on/off as the program dictated.

....... Unless it's drawing too much amperage and not leaving enough left for the other channels. Are channels not operating correctly? Random flashes? Ect?

aaahhh... I doubt this is the case..  More likely power supply switching noise as the motor gets hotter... (though I can't even imagine that one)  Could be the supply cycling for thermal reasons and the instant start up under load causes the problem... .. could be a number of other things.

Rather than spend a great deal of time figuring this out, I agree that you should get a relay to isolate it from the LOR controller... but if you power it from the same source as the controller you may still get the issues..  Without seeing it hard to tell.

So now if you do use a relay to isolate it, and you if you have to use another power source, it becomes a bit of a pain.  You may even try a bigger power supply or a line filter between the LOR controller and the power supply for the motor.  To me, the correct thing to do would be to plug the motor supply into the regular power and control the DC with a relay.  That way you are not getting the supply start up in rush all the time.

I do not have a separate power source available.  The LOR takes up the only source available at that location. 

I do not have a separate power source available.  The LOR takes up the only source available at that location. 

Ok..then with the limited info posted, I would suggest getting a supply that will handle more current and using a relay to switch the DC side instead of switching the AC side as you are doing now.   That is about as good as you can do with what you have available to you.