Light-O-Rama Forums

Stupid DMX Question

pstigerfan

Last year I bought a bunch of those 3-channel DMX controllers.  I believe I bought them through Holiday Coro.

Anyway, today I started building a bunch of North Poles.  Got the LED modules mounted onto the pipe, and got the "topper" assembled.  However, the first batch of three, I can only configure one of them through the DMX programmer I bought with them.  However, when I plug all of them in, the modules come on and start going through the auto-sequence, so I know they work.

At first I thought that maybe it was one of my solder connections on the board for the DMX signal, but I double and triple-checked everything and they all look good.  So then my next possible answer was that it could be how I'm connecting them.

I have the connection setup this way:

PC ---> DMX Programming Dongle ---> Injecting Power from Waterproof Power Supply --> DMX 3-Channel Controller

In the meantime, I'll try another board to see if its maybe a defective batch, but if anyone has any ideas as to what I'm possibly doing wrong, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Paul

I believe they go into auto test mode if they don't see DMX at power up.  (I have lots of them and that was my big ding against them). I am not sure they will accept the DMX signal once powered and running thru the test cycle.

Perhaps you put the DMX to them too late, or your D+ and D- are reversed.  You may want to also make sure you use the ground or common wire for the DMX signal. 

You also have to program them one at a time, can't connect several of them together and program them.

OK, so I was plugging the DMX signal cable in first, then the power cable; then running the Programming tool.  And yes, I am only connecting one at a time.

I have the solid orange pin hooked up to the D-, and the orange/white pin hooked to D+.  I also checked the other solder connections to make sure everything else is correct.

I may end up purchasing a 27-channel controller instead to run these, instead of these 3-channel buggers.  Might be easier than dealing with the individual controllers.

I don't think that the Programming dongle can be used for anything other than programming; you may need a regular USB to DMX dongle.

2 questions:

1-What type of module are you using? (IE: RGB 8mm Nodes, RGB Rectangle Modules, RGB Square Modules, RGB Strips)

2-How many are you using on each controller?

3-Are they the Holiday Coro Modules? (Different vendors modules can be different)

-Chris-

2 questions:

1-What type of module are you using? (IE: RGB 8mm Nodes, RGB Rectangle Modules, RGB Square Modules, RGB Strips)

2-How many are you using on each controller?

3-Are they the Holiday Coro Modules? (Different vendors modules can be different)

-Chris-

1. They are the 12V RGB Rectangular Modules.

2. I have 4 modules on each 3-channel controller.

3. Yes, I did check and they are the Holiday Coro modules, both the controller and the modules were purchased in 2012 from Holiday Coro.

I use a couple dozen of these 3 channel controllers with almost NO problems. 

Don't use the programmer as a crossover cable (only as a programmer).  Use a proper crossover cable or dmx dongle.

Are the controllers type 1 or type 2 ?

when you program the controller, is the process going as expected and after changing the starting address did you do a new read to confirm the address was changed.

You should be able to power the modules even without the computer or software (the built in test sequence) will work if no dmx signal is present.

If this doesn't work contact David at Holliday Coro.  The customer support it TOP NOTCH !

I"ve used the ENtec RDM Pro from DMXking.com They are in New Zealand, and my DMX runs year round. My Lor is what goes up and down in the seasons.

I use a couple dozen of these 3 channel controllers with almost NO problems. 

Don't use the programmer as a crossover cable (only as a programmer).  Use a proper crossover cable or dmx dongle.

Are the controllers type 1 or type 2 ?

when you program the controller, is the process going as expected and after changing the starting address did you do a new read to confirm the address was changed.

You should be able to power the modules even without the computer or software (the built in test sequence) will work if no dmx signal is present.

If this doesn't work contact David at Holliday Coro.  The customer support it TOP NOTCH !

I am only using the programmer cable as a programmer, and am not doing anything else with it.

I have a mix of type 1 and type 2 controller.

When I go to program the controller, and hit the "READ" button, it comes up and says "No Controller Found".  On the one controller that worked, I was able to change the address and it worked with no problem; however; the ones that don't work basically come up and say "No Controller Found" and that is the end of it.

I have worked with David before so I know the support is Top Notch, however, I was hoping to resolve it without going that route.  I'm going to try something else and if that doesn't work, then I'll file a ticket with David.