Light-O-Rama Forums

ip adress

Steelers95

I finally got to my sandevices configuration page and it says that my temporary ip address is 169.254.74.73. I know that I need to change the ip address so its within mine which is 192.168.1.101 but I know nothing about ip address. Whats an Ip address within 192.168.1.101, is it 192.168.1.100?

Any help is much appreciated!!

There's a section in the operating manual that explains how to check it.

Page 2 third paragraph Once the current IP address is known (factory default is 192.168.1.206) you must determine if it is within the address 

range used by your LAN. The following procedure is valid for Windows 7 and assumes that your PC receives its internet 

via a wired Ethernet connection; other versions of Windows will use a similar procedure: 

Press the WINDOWS button to open the start menu. 

Type CMD in the search bar and press ENTER. 

A black window should open. In the black window type IPCONFIG /ALL then press ENTER. 

Scroll up if necessary to display the first part of the text in the window. Look for an area called “Ethernet Adapter Local 

Area Connection”. Within that area look for the line IPv4 Address. Generally the number displayed will be: 

192.168.x.y, where x will usually be 0 or 1, and y can be any number. The third digit, X in the example, is what you need 

to know. If X is 0, your LAN uses 192.168.0.n addressing and you would need to use over-ride code 5 (based on the list 

of over-ride codes above) to force a temporary IP address in the range of your LAN. If your IP address is of the form 

2.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x you would use over-ride codes 2 and 3 respectively. 

If your LAN uses 2.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x or 169.254.x.x addressing, determine the over-ride code you need from 

the list above, and use the PROG button procedure to enter that over-ride code. Once this is done, you should be able 

to access the controller’s web page by typing the over-ride IP address into your browser’s address bar. 

Note that for a controller with factory settings, if your LAN uses the 192.168.1.x addresses, no over-ride is necessary. 

If you are unable to use the above procedure successfully, there is an alternate method to access the controller page. 

Unplug your computer’s LAN cable from your router and wire it directly to the Ethernet jack on the controller. Reboot 

the computer and then use over-ride code 4 on the controller. You should then be able to access the controller’s page 

at 169.254.74.73. 

Note: The IP address created by the over-ride is temporary. Once you are able to access the controller’s web page, 

change the IP address to an address that is within the range of your LAN, save by clicking Update System Information, 

then restart the controller. 

Edited by Ron Boyd

Another important of IP is the Sub Net mask. in home usage, the sub net is set to 255.255.255.0 What this means is that 255 says that this part has to match 100% and 0 means anything from .1 to .255  Though to note, stay away from using .1 and anything over .250. To recap, if you use 192.168.1.X then you will only be able to talk to another device that has a 192.168.1.x address. But not a 192.168.2.X or anything that the first, second or third digits that are different.