Light-O-Rama Forums

Using an old computer's power supply

Steelers95

I have an old 350w computer power supply that I would like to use to power a san device. I am going to be using 12v ws2811 pixels so I looked on the side of the power supply it says that 12v+ is yellow and 12 v- is blue and ground is black.

The questions I have are:

1. Can I use this as my power supply?
  2. Are those the only three wires I need?
  3. There are multiple blue, yellow, and black wires coming out of the power supply, would I need all the blue, yellow, and black wires that come out or just one of each?

Any Help or input that you can offer is greatly appreciated

http://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com/store/en/breakout-boards/144-24-pin-atx-power-supply-breakout-board.html

Get you one of these. You can access all voltages from this board.

Be aware though, although many people have used these with success, I have heard some who have had nothing but problems using them. Just a friendly FYI warning.

I used an old computer power supply for my LED RGB floods and other 12v LED devices with great success. I only used the yellow and black wires. Yes, there is a couple of those sets of colored wires but the only difference is amps. If I remember right, one set is like 15 amps, the other 5 amps. But I'm not 100% on that.

Googling it might help on that one.

One more thing. You will have to slip a piece of wire in two terminals (jumper wire) on the "main terminal block". This is what turns on the power supply and/or resets it if there is a short. I would have to take a pic and post it later if you want me to and you don't know which two terminals for the jumper.

I have used computer power supplies several times and they work out fine. I have only used them on the 12 volts pixels. If you use the yellow and black like Santas Helper says, that is the higher amperage on the rating on the power supply. I just soldier straight to the wires, the board that Ron mentioned is quite convenient though.

Okay,
Here is a shot of the power supply/wires I use.
Notice several sets of yellow and black wires with connectors. That's what I use for 12vdc power.
Then notice the plastic connector with two terminals (black and green wires) marked side by side and a jumper. That's what you need to power up or reset the power supply. Think of it as the power/reset button on a computer.

DSC06149_zpsc5c3a681.jpg

DSC06150_zpsc2ed98de.jpg

Hope that helps.

Since for me I am never going to use that power supply in a computer again, I just cut those 2 wires and put a wire nut on them. The green and the black wire that is.

Edited by dougd

Since for me I am never going to use that power supply in a computer again, I just cut those 2 wires and put a wire nut on them. The green and the black wire that is.

Doug,

I guess you could do that. It needs to be a reset if there is a short from wires touching or moisture contact with the lights/circuit. I guess you could undo the wire nut each time to reset, which would be the same to just pull the jumper and reinsert it. Good idea.

Rain, high humidity and snow/ice will cause it to do a safety shut down. That's what I experienced anyway.

Just my two cents.

I suppose either way will work just fine.

This reset problem is the only thing I've ran into on these computer power supplies. Other than that, they are cheap and work really well.

Edited by Santas Helper

Thanks, the pictures helped out a lot. I now have my sandevice powered from a computer power supply. All the led indicators have lit up so I think everything seems to be in working order. I do have one more question that maybe you would be able to answer, I have been reading the owners manual online and it say that if I am using a power supply greater then 5v I need to install a jumper between pins 1-2 and between pins 3-4. Is this necessary and how would I do this?

Glad to be of help.

Not sure what manual to what device your talking about.

I would start a new thread about that question for a more direct target to others who would know the answer to your question.

The breakout board from Seasonal Entertainment is DEFFINITLY the way to go.  No cutting off the plugs, no cross over cable and you gain an on and off switch.  I have 4 of them and LOVE them.  Wish I found them earlier.

• Like 1