Light-O-Rama Forums

Projection mapping software

godman

Is anyone using projection mapping with video for their house? What programs/software are you using?

Edited by godman

This is something I have kept my finger on the pulse for awhile. A few have incorporated it into hobby displays.

Some are using Adobe After Effects with multiple projectors. Outside of that you get into some really high end packages.

As an FYI, there is going to be a demonstration and session about this at Christmas Expo by Charles Belcher, founder of OnStage Systems.

You want to research "projector stacking", for multiple projectors.

we're planning on using 3 projectors for a projected output of 1050

lumens. Aftereffects is what we use for the map elements.

Strong learning curve, but tons of you tube tutorals.

@ robo, thanks I just purchased power director and am learning it now. Are there any more tutorials specifically for the house projection?

This thread has been very helpful. I too am looking into using 3D projection mapping. My question is what video editing program can produce these types of image transitions and video for projection. I want to do these kind of effects on one of my front walls. probably should be asking if It can even be done on a small scale with an affordable projector. 

That's kind of like asking which brand of circular saw was used to make that great new house...  I suspect that there was a substantially large team of graphic designers, artists and video editors using high-end equipment and pro-grade software.

One of my clients has a decent, but not overly large HDTV production facility, they use AVID hardware and software for editing. Their initial project costs were $250,000, not counting salaries. The last switcher/editor they bought was about $50K.

I would be surprised if the projectors used in the clip above were less than six figures each.

• Like 1

After effects or Cinema 4D$$, can produce these effects. Large learning curve though. YouTube has a plethora of how to videos. On a smaller scale for residential use should only cost $600-700 for software and projector. Maybe cheaper depending on what projector you use.

Thanks. I kind of figured it was high end equipment and software but I guess I was thinking it could be a little simpler on a smaller scale. What if I took a picture of the house and projected it on the house matching it up so it just looks like the house is lit up by a light and then let my screen saver start skewing the image. do you think this could get some of the cool effects similar to the video? I would think if the projected image matches up perfect to the house it shouldn't even look like an image on the house until it starts moving. sounds simple to me. so how then can I change the screen saver effects into video files to projection. Any thoughts or suggestions on this. 

Sorry but my brain gets going on this kinda stuff and until it understands the why and how of it, it won't shut up... lol

Let me know if you figure out how to match it up perfectly. Sounds easier then it is. I'm using a short throw projector. If I use a camera from the same location as the projector there is no way to fit the image in the cameras view. I can give you a few links to achieve some cool effects.

• Like 1

I forget that a short through projector doesn"t project in the same aspect that a camera or video recorder copies a scene. until I get a projector I will mess around with some of the trial software for mapping/masking. Those effects programs you mentioned I would love to check out any tutorial that would show the how and what effects can be produced. Thanks again you guys. With out these forums I would be lost sometimes. :unsure:

@ robo, can you share the links for the effects? Another good program for projection mapping is Wondershare video editor,

http://www.wondershare.net/ad/video-editor-win/index.html?gclid=CITT_5zvob8CFQqIfgoduyMAWg

It will basically do the same this as Power director but its about $30.00 cheaper, I found power director on sales at Best buy for 69.00

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/powerdirector-12-ultra-windows/1905002.p;jsessionid=08CBEF6B0B5FCD50A00454482E7B62E0.bbolsp-app03-149?id=1219066873296&skuId=1905002&st=powerdirector&lp=1&cp=1

Just ordered me a copy too. Thanks for the info.

Add me to the list! The deal was just to good to pass up! :)