Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree Trunks

matthew in lex ky

I have had Mega Trees since 08 in my display and always took the lights to the ground, this year I am making one with a trunk. To the people that have trunks on your Mega Trees, are they animated or are the static? Im trying to figure out what looks best. If you could give me all pros and cons of it being animated or static, the trunk that is/

Thanks in advance!!

Matt-

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a few that look real good where the trunk doubles as a 7-9 channel light pole.

I've seen a few that look real good where the trunk doubles as a 7-9 channel light pole.

Did someone say light pole? B)

DSC03234_zps9559df37.jpg

DSC05055_zps091cce73.jpg

DSC05050_zps5f85a7be.jpg

DSC05049_zps10cdbc2a.jpg

I have 16 channels of white LEDs wrapped around a pole and attached to the tower.

Then 15 LED RGB floods attached from top to bottom.

61 channels total for my tower/trunk.

• 2 months later...

I run 7ea 16 channel controllers for the mega tree alone.

But you could branch off to other elements in the display. It's all in how you set it up in the sequencer.

From a 16 channel controller you might run 8 channels on the mega tree and the other 8 might go to arches or other props.

That's kind of what I was wondering, this is only my second year in and I have only one 16ch controller, just wondering about sending 16 to the tree and using some three way adapters to branch of to mini trees or something like that....

That's kind of what I was wondering, this is only my second year in and I have only one 16ch controller, just wondering about sending 16 to the tree and using some three way adapters to branch of to mini trees or something like that....

Yep, you can do that and make what ever (mini trees, arches, etc...) also go to those same channels.

I've connected mini trees to the same channel as mega tree channels in the past. Makes your display look bigger with the same amount of channels.

Tom - the tree is just amazing.

I really can't wait to see it up and running this year.

As awesome as it is looking at it digitally,

well, I just can't wait to see it running live at your house.

Thank you Daniel,

The tower will be going up November 1st (depending on the weather) if you want to come join us.

It doesn't take long but fun to do.

would this be an okie get together..  :)

I was thinking putting everything up that weekend also...  Still have 9 5M RGB coming in for the mega tree and I just got 200 3mm strobe led's to attach to it...  not sure how thats gonna look...  we will see  :)

I was thinking putting everything up that weekend also...  Still have 9 5M RGB coming in for the mega tree and I just got 200 3mm strobe led's to attach to it...  not sure how thats gonna look...  we will see  :)

Unofficially, yes. :)

Where'd you get the 3mm led strobes, if I may ask?

Was just wondering if you guys are using guy wires to hook the lights to or just running the lights from top to bottom?

Was just wondering if you guys are using guy wires to hook the lights to or just running the lights from top to bottom?

For me, because of the length (33') of strands, I run wire from end to end with spring clips at each end.

This keeps the pulling stress and pressure off the strands and on the metal wire.

Here is the pic of the topper with the spring clips hooked in place.

DSC03264-1_zps01b61fc5.jpg

And here is a strand being built in my backyard. Ran the wire and spring clips, then attached each color strand.

DSC00617_zps0d73a1ac.jpg

DSC00620_zpsa037ab2d.jpg

The reason I do this is because of the weather we get. Ice and strong winds (blizzards). The strands would pretty much rip apart if I didn't use metal wire.

DSC05228_zpscf632365.jpg

Edited by Santas Helper

What size wire do you use?? I am thinking about doing that same thing as I am not going that tall but we do get some pretty decent winds

I purchased a 1000' roll of galvanized wire from Lowe's or Home Depot.

I can't remember the exact size but was around 20 gauge. They only had one size in the 1000' roll/spool.

The thing I like about that wire is I use it year round for other stuff. A great utility wire for many purposes.

And being galvanized, it won't rust.

Thanks santas helper I think I will look into that I no its not that tall but can never be too safe

Thanks santas helper I think I will look into that I no its not that tall but can never be too safe

Your welcome.

I was actually doing this when my mega tree was 20' tall. For just a little extra time, saving expensive LED strands is worth it IMHO.

I'm using the same strands I did back in 2009 and haven't lost one yet. :)