Light-O-Rama Forums

So how does RGB work?

Drac

Hello all,

While hanging on a Halloween forum one of the venders put up a sale flyer.  For $7 I can get a 25ct 10' string -

25ct-12-volt-rgb-pixels.jpg

I am planning a small tree.  Originally I was going to do two colors ten strands each.  With this cost I'd have a hard time finding strings this time of year that beat that cost unless I bought a case and I'm looking to eventually go RGB so I don't want to sink too much into regular string.

The assumptions from my reading:

I know I need a different controller, I believe this? - http://store.lightorama.com/cmdedcca3.html

I assume it only will control 8 strings?

I will need a 12v power supply.  One guy recommended computer ones.  They are fairly easy to come by.

I will need additional software, this? - http://store.lightorama.com/suse.html

So the questions:

Is each string a CCR?

Will 16 string make a decent tree?

Are these type a decent light?

Thanks,

Jim

Hello all,

While hanging on a Halloween forum one of the venders put up a sale flyer.  For $7 I can get a 25ct 10' string -

25ct-12-volt-rgb-pixels.jpg

I am planning a small tree.  Originally I was going to do two colors ten strands each.  With this cost I'd have a hard time finding strings this time of year that beat that cost unless I bought a case and I'm looking to eventually go RGB so I don't want to sink too much into regular string.

The assumptions from my reading:

I know I need a different controller, I believe this? - http://store.lightorama.com/cmdedcca3.html

I assume it only will control 8 strings? You are correct as long as the strings are basic.

I will need a 12v power supply.  One guy recommended computer ones.  They are fairly easy to come by. I have no experience with using an ATX power supply for DC lighting. Some folks use them all the time and some have nothing but trouble (No experience, just hearsay)

I will need additional software, this? - http://store.lightorama.com/suse.html This program is not necessary when using basic nodes. But, If you're doing Pixels, (Smart or Intelligent), It is a Very nice addition. If you happen to be sequencing large amounts of pixels, It makes it a lot easier. There are some free software out there ie, Nutcracker, HLS, Vixen, but, some of these softwares sequence at the element level whereas, Superstar sequences at the single pixel Level. I myself, sequence everything in Superstar with a touch of Nutcracker when I need a specific effect that I can't get with SS (spirals for an example)

So the questions:

Is each string a CCR? No. If these are Basic (dumb strings), each one will be 1 output on the CMB-24D or 3 channels, which make up 1 RGB Channel. If these are the Basic strings (the link to them would be a nice addition for a better understanding of the exact make-up of the string) You have String level control, meaning, you change the color and all nodes are the same. With a smart or intelligent pixel, you will have individual bulb control. Also, if these happen to be a smart pixel, the CMB24D will not control them.

Will 16 string make a decent tree? I wouldn't go more that about 10 feet high, but, yes, it will make a decent tree

Are these type a decent light? Most all of the vendors used here make a pretty good string of Basic nodes. Waterproof rating is something to consider. If these are IP67 or IP68, then you'll be golden. Beware though, The way these are made, you need to attach it to some sort of Cord, Strapping or PVC Conduit. If not, the wires will separate a bit and possibly allow water in where they enter. 

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by Ron Boyd

Thanks.  I can post a link up.  I wasn't sure if I should post outside sales/venders on this forum out of respect for LOR and their approved venders.

Jim