Light-O-Rama Forums

New to superstar

ericg2000

This is my 2nd year with lor, and I got superstar last night to assist my sequencing. I'll be using it for the instant sequencing not ccr.

My question is should I load my entire visualization file in or break it down into smaller parts to create the sequence? I'm starting to watch the tutorials as well, I'm just curious what other people do

I have my basic yard visualizations separated so superstar puts them on the correct "line" when importing. I want all my dumb light bushes on its own line for example. So I keep the elements in the correct location on the vertical plane but line it up with the other like elements horizontally. This allows whole yard morphs to be in correct order while allowing me to easily control like items. I spent some time perfecting this but I feel it is time well spent.

Then I have several miscellaneous visualizations for auto sequencing. I don't auto sequence much, but I like separating to have more control. CCRs only may be one visualization file. All floods another. Or combine floods and CCRs. You get the idea.

Of course, each holiday is separate as well. So I have a lot of visualization files.

The SSE has an import visualizer option. You'll also see the option to import two visualizations at a time. The idea here is to have a 'human readable' visualization, and one customized for SSE.

The version that is customized would be set up so that items you want to the SSE to sequence together, would be on the same row of the Viz. The customized version will look very different, visually, from your regular Viz. However, when you load it into the SSE, you will see that the lines detected by SSE will create a better sequencing environment.

I've read other posts about loading 2 visualization files but didn't see that option. I'll look again.

My ultimate goal is to use sse to do the bulk and once I export into s3 I'll tweak or modify where needed.

Can sse do arches?

Superstar can do everything s3 can do. I have RGB arches and use ss for it but it doesn't matter, any type of arch can be controlled. I have a 5 candy cane pinwheel (the ones that have lights inside and the cane is red and white stripped, just one AC cord to plug in) that is controlled by ss as an example.

SS can do morphs or scenes. Scenes are your static on/off with the ability to use color if you wish. Morphs you set a start element and an end element and it gives you options like tails that can fade or twinkle etc. or just fade. Or no tail. You can also make the fade change colors instead and can make it accelerate or slow down during the fade. All useful in arches.

To do arches you can do either scenes or morphs. I tend to do scenes for mine. But to use morphs you choose the start of the arch, then the end and that's it. Ss does the rest to make sure it is in time with your start and end marks.

This is why it is important to get your elements lined up. If I have 4 arches lined up I can morph from first to last in time without much work. Or do each arch separate. Or whatever combo. But in ss it is fast to sequence this. And if my timing is off I can use the nudge tools instead of redoing the entire piece of the sequence and without copy/paste or cut. If I want a longer morph or scene I can nudge length longer...or shorter. All in a very few seconds. My favorite thing about ss is how you can quickly get your elements in proper timing using these nudge tools. Simple and fast.

You can also save whatever effect you make in the huge ss clipboard to use again later. And name it with comments that describe what it actually does. It is easier to adjust to new songs because you have the nudge tools. And don't forget, copy paste in ss works for within the same song as well.

My original goal was to just use ss for my RGB elements. Once I started using ss, I never wanted to use s3 again. Ss is so much faster and easier to program in.

Oh, I don't do the dual visualization files don is talking about. I adjust my visualizer to what I want it to be and use just that file.

Brian has a good write up on how the dual files are to be used, he wrote the software so he knows it's uses. So look that up if you want to know more. I remember seeing a tutorial video on it so you don't have to read if you don't want to.

But basically, it is meant to be one file used so you can program in ss and another file for your actual yard layout. Then ss will adjust the sequencing proper when you export it. The files are added when you import your visualization file. You will see a location for you to supply 2 reference files that ss will use.

Again, I just make several files lined up proper for my use and load the visualization I am programming.

Good luck,

Sax

I figured out I have to have my props lined up for import because I noticed the lines across the visualization image and the squares that represent each prop in that line. I'm sure I'll have a learning curve the next few weeks but if it cuts programming time down per song Ill be happy.

I got my s3 updated watched more tutorials now I'm getting the hang on it. I like the importing 2 visualization files. Now I'm just going through the different options.