Light-O-Rama Forums

Will LOR software operate this?

MeCasa

I need some software for this

http://www.luxdrive....16-QuadPuck.pdf

The above controller is right at $100 without drivers

Or perhaps there is a LOR controller that will operate a dozen 3w luxeon/cree led's per channel? I need 4 channels but I would love to have 8.

I do not need sound enhancements, blinking, flashing etc. I just want to be able to use my computer to control dimming (down to 0) on 4 to 8 channels

Please excuse my lack of knowledge because I'm trying to get on a fast track learning curve and what I think fact in the morning often becomes redundant and outdated by noon. I'm developing a serious love/hate relationship with LED's

MeCasa

I would say  you can control it with the software. It is a dmx controller,you would need a 1.31 to dmx converter (one option maybe someone else will have more). One thing for sure you will need the advance version of the software.

The irony is that you can't buy anything until you understand what you need and understanding what you need is.........

Not easy to say the least  :wacko:

The QuadPuck has two connections for RJ45 (item 12 on the pdf) listed as "DMX Input/Loop via. RJ45 Conn. (2)"

I'm not sure if requires one or two RJ45's to operate the four drivers,  I'll have to check with LuxDrive

But the 2nd piece of harware you show goes from XLR 3-pin female to RJ45

While the USB goes to RS845

How do I get from XLR 3-pin female on item 1 to RS485?

There are adapters but there's also straight USB to RJ45

Will the software recognize the quadPuck if I go from USB straight to RJ45 (cable available)

Thanks

QuadPuck_zps67fb2aae.jpg

Edited by MeCasa

The QuadPuck has two connections for RJ45 (item 12 on the pdf) listed as "DMX Input/Loop via. RJ45 Conn. (2)"

I'm not sure if requires one or two RJ45's to operate the four drivers,  I'll have to check with LuxDrive

You only need 1. The two RJ45's are wired in parallel. A typical setup uses one for 'in' and the other for 'out', creating a "chain." The last unit in in the chain will only use one RJ45, and will have a jumper installed on socket 11 (terminator jumper).

But the 2nd piece of harware you show goes from XLR 3-pin female to RJ45

While the USB goes to RS845

How do I get from XLR 3-pin female on item 1 to RS485?

You don't need the RJ45 to XLR adapter, since both the LOR adapter and the LuxDrive use RJ45 connectors. However, the pin-outs are different. The quadPuck most likely uses the DMX standard, which is pins 1,2, and 7. The LOR USB485 adapter, however, uses pins 4,5, and 6. It is very simple to make a cable to switch the pins.

There are adapters but there's also straight USB to RJ45

Will the software recognize the quadPuck if I go from USB straight to RJ45 (cable available)

LOR's USB485 adapter goes from USB to RJ45. It converts the electrical signal from USB to RS-485, which is what both LOR and DMX use.

The software doesn't "recognize" the quadPuck, because as a DMX device, it receives only. But when configured as a DMX output the LOR software will send DMX signals from the USB485, which will be received by the quadPuck.