Light-O-Rama Forums

2 Wire waterproof Connectors / Plugs

cgreenfield

Hello fellow Lighting Enthusiasts, 

Does anyone know where i could get 2 wire waterproof connectors for 12v DC power? I can't seem to find any that are 2 wires. 

Any help would be appreciated,

-Chris-

And on a totally unrelated note, How do you layout your controllers? (Do you spread them around the display or do you keep them all in a centralized spot?)

Thx for the quick reply! I will have to check it out later i am not home atm

How many sets of 2wire connectors do you need I have 25 pairs never used from dyiledexpress pm me if interested Dennis

Get my cables and wires here ( and pixels, strip lights, dumb lights, power supplies, extension cables etc)

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2core-waterproof-connector-with-20cm-long-cable-male-and-female-black-color-the-male-connect-s/701799_601827908.html

Make sure to contact Ray for cheaper shipping and request DHL as shipping method. 2 days from him to me in Portland Oregon.

>>And on a totally unrelated note, How do you layout your controllers? (Do you spread them around the display or do you keep them all in a >>centralized spot?)

I place the controllers as close to the Object they are controlling.  Centralized control can really cause the number of extension cords you

use to skyrocket.  Of course, if you have security problems, then you need to weigh the cost of securing the controllers VS how many extension

cords you use.  

Tim

I've also been told that 2 wire automotive connectors work well for 12v connections. Available at any auto parts near you.

+1 on keeping controllers close to display items. The whole centralized "run everything from your garage model" --- ugh. Only valid reason is security and they steal cords these days. Most have no use for a controller, but a lot of uses for extension cords.

I put controllers on the roof also, cleans it up a lot. Put controller next to a display item with say 6 channels, saves 6 cords. I run one cord to most controllers, then use a tee to plug both cords into it. Only a few controllers use more than 12-13 amps total.

A 12v connector doesn't really need to be waterproof. I typically use Molex connectors, and it's never been a problem.

Thanks for the Replies. 

Ron those are exactly what i was looking for! I would use automotive connectors but those seem more difficult to manage when it is cold out. 

We keep most of our controllers in the garage. 3 main reasons for that-

1. Water / Weather (Makes the controllers last longer).
  2. We have a stucco house so it is difficult to mount without drilling holes.
  3. It is easier to access and troubleshoot when they are all next to each other

I am also not that worried about people stealing the cords because the wire is just lamp cord. I'm more worried about the display items.

-Chris-

• 2 months later...

I have not had any issues with theft or vandalism in the last couple of years. As the display grows, even the punks appear to appreciate it enough to leave it alone. However, because of a few past issues, I still try to make it difficult. I have my LOR controllers mounted on stands near the house, not in the middle of the yard. (SPT-1 is cheaper than replacing a controller.) The stands are then cabled & padlocked to 10" screw anchors screwed into the ground. Sure, a thief could still get bolt cutters after my cables, but the vandals will just move on to easier targets (I hope...).

Check on eBay! I find the auto type weatherproof connectors in all numbers of pin counts from 2 to 10 connectors.