Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB window outline question

txfirecop

I have several windows I want to outline with RBG dumb strips, however, my windows are 7' tall and several different widths. Since the strips are 16' long and one will not cover the entire area, I was wondering how you make up the additional lengths you need. Do I use a TEE watertight connection and split it? Any suggestions?

From what I seem to remember the "Tee" connectors have a high failure rate (I've never used them). I would just solder wires on the end of each strip at the bends and then waterproof them. I have a bunch of both dumb and smart strips that have wires connected and waterproofed using the following procedure. I am using strip with the silicon tube. At the end, I squeeze in some silicon and add about an inch and a half piece of heat shrink tubing which is then shrunk. Shrinking creates a semi-flexible solid water-proofing plug. I will point out that in the one place where the strip will at times be completely under water, I added a second layer of heat shrink tubing that extends about a 1/4 inch beyond the end of the first layer of heat shrink tubing on both ends. For this layer I use the heat shrink tubing that has the goo on the inside that melts when the tubing is heated. I have not had a failure yet.

One thing to remember is there will be a voltage drop after the first 16'. So you need to inject power so both work with the proper color.

Lets see how good my drawing is

<-------------------- power ----------------->

if you put the power in the middle it will work, 1 16" running left 1 16" running right

Mike

I have the same problem. I think I'm going to be using two ribbons on the same channel to do my large window.I have a window with one long side @ 86" and a 56" jamb side = 11'-10". I'll cut off 4'-8" on each ribbon to out line the bottom and jamb and top and the other jamb. I will arrange them so that the leads are in the same corner for both ribbons. This may not be the right way to do it. But that's what I plan to do at this time. And run both ribbons from the same channel. I guess I wouldn't have to use the same channel, but I have already finished all my sequencing. I will test run later this summer and if it doesn't work, I'll add another channel. I am using the RGB 8 pack from Light o Rama.

Thanks Mike. I'm doing my garage door out line and it's a perfect 32 feet so I'm doing the split with the power in the middle. I also have some smaller windows that are going to use one strip plus 4' to 8' portions of a second strip. I have been told the strips coupled with the power supply I am using can run 2 full strips connected end to end with the power on one end with no problems.  I bought all of my RGB strips (11 of them) from Creative Lighting Displays. Kevin stands by His product. I also purchased the 24 channel LOR RGB controller. I am running the 8 RGB channels on the house/window out line and CCPs around the roof line. hope to have it all up by the end of July for a test run. this is my first year with this RGB equipment so I want to get an early start so I can nip any issues well in advance of Halloween. thanks again everyone.

If io was doing a 32 foot section (something anthing even close to that(, rather than soldering 2 together)  just use 2 strips (3 channel controllers are very cheap and less than the labor involved)  You could power from opposite ends. You can still program as one single string if you prefer (I believe if you use the same id both will react in the same manner at the same time).    Power ------------    ---------- Power

Thanks guys. I think I will try my hand at the soldering and  heat shrink tubing.

• The topic was locked