Light-O-Rama Forums

Chauvet Intimidator 1.0 Dmx Help

Brentroland

I have a chauvet intimidator 1.0 and i am not smart but i need help getting it to work.

I have

ActiDongle™ - Active DMX Dongle (Enttec™ Pro Compatible) - V2

DMX cable

And my light-o-Rama upgraded to advance.

On my hardware utility i push refresh button but it will not find any controller.

Somebody please help me with this I like to learn alot about DMX for my christmas show.

Go to Advanced Network Preferences within the program. Select the DMX tab and then select the protocol box on the universe you intend to use with you Dongle. On the adapter drop menu see if you can see your dongle there (assuming it's plugged into a USB port and you've downloaded and installed the driver). Assuming you can select it, then go the to the drop window below and select the "Entec.." protocol. From that point you can begin the nightmare of programming a moving head :)

Hope this helps!

The Green Led on the dongle is blinking how do i get it to stay solid?

On my Lght-o-rama status i keep gettting this

listener error 3

THe green light always blinks on the dongle it should blink faster when receving commands

The how can I get my DMX scanner to start working? I dont know how to get it program and tbh idk how to set it up in a new squence.

If you want to add your chavet intimidator to a sequence you right click on a channel then add device Dmx you will now have 16 dmx channels your need 4 channels for the intimidator so you can delete the other 12 channels I assume you have the start channel set on the chavet intimidator so add that start address number to the first dmx channel you created and also what universe number your using

Edited by Dennis Laff

Your going to have to give us a bit more information. Do you have any other LOR controllers you are using?

DMX Movers like a scanner or a yoke light, it is nice to be able to test using a DMX controller/console. It gives you your ranges for effects on your channels.

Folks make fun of the LOR iDMX, but it allows you to use the Hardware Editor, DMX Console to do just that. Test your device.

First thing you are going to have to understand is DMX. I have some material on my site, Greg Renna has some on Seasonal Entertainment's site, there is other info from users and vendors if you search.

You have to understand the DMX Base Address it is also referred to as the Base ID of the scanner, and realize it is a 4 channel DMX device (I went and looked at the manual). Also page 11 in your manual gives you some important information about the effect ranges within the devices channels. With those switches on the back, you can set that to anything you want, but for starters, Keep it simple, if this is your only DMX device, I would set the first swtitch (#1) in the down position and put all the rest in the up position. This makes your DMX Base ID of "1" and your DMX Channel map to 1-2-3-4 for your device.

Post # 2 above was pretty informative, you need to let us know if you understand what was told. One thing. Do you have a LOR USB-RS485 also plugged in? (Someone correct me if this is wrong) but I believe the DMX Listener will have problems if there is not an 485 also plugged into the computer? I seem to remember that somewhere.

Once you figure out DMX, get your Base ID set to 1 on the scanner, then in your sequences all you have to do is insert 4 DMX channels. The Device Type is going to be a DMX Universe, Your Universe is going to be "1", and then your channel will be 1. Then channels 2-3-4.

Ramps get your pans. Or you can set exact DMX values (0-255) 0=off or in the case of a mover it is at one of the rotation stop points. 255=on or with the mover it will be the opposite stop point.

The best way to learn DMX is by using it. That is why I say above, using an external console is great to learn the behavior. You can do this somewhat also, by doing long ramps for your different DMX channels.

Keep asking questions.

• Like 1

I have it On Universe 1 and i had the LOR plugged in together but i hook my LOR USB-RS485 back into the computer.

But on page 11 how do i set them control on the Sequence page?

On My Light-O-Rama Status i keep getting

DMX Listener error 3: Comm Winsock Error / 10053: Connection is aborted due to timeout or other Failure
then under it is say
Connected to DMX Listener
it say them over and over about 5 times

I think you need to start fresh from the beginning. the dongle is connected to the com port on computer it is not connected to the USB-RS485 they are not connected together in any way now connect you dongle to lor network like second post said now listener should be working. you can't sequence till you get the dongle hooked up

I have the Dongle Plug in one usb port (Comm 5)

I have the USB-RS485 in another usb port (Comm 4)

But it say it connected to DMX Listener

Now go into a sequence file, go into this pull down menu:

EDIT>PREFERENCES>NETWORK PREFERENCES

In the DMX tab, the Adapter pull down should list the Dongle you outlined above. IN the Protocol pull down, select "Enttec". OK out of the menu.

In that same menu, as above go into DMX Preferences and ensure that Allow DMX Editing is selected

EDIT>PREFERENCES>DMX PREFERRENCES

THen as outlined in previous post above, you can do a RMB>Insert Device and do a DMX Universe with 16 Channels. I however think it is almost easier to just add 4 Channels and modify the info for those channels using the TOOLS>CHANNEL CONFIGURATION tool. You are putting effort into deleting 12 unused channels with the first method, or modifying the info for 4 with the second.

If you do the above, Just adding channels, you can start sequencing anytime while you are debugging your Listener situation. A LOR channel is a channel regardless if it is DMX or not, Ramps / Fades and DMX value can be programmed into them. It is the output that does require everything to be correct.

THis is not hard, nor rocket science, it is all pretty easy and straight forward unless you have an issue with your DMX Dongle.

Edited by zman

On the scanner you only program the start address

What Dennis mentions is what I referred to as the DMX Base Address or Base ID, and worth noting again. The Base Address/ID is formal DMX verbiage, and most don't get that. The concept of the "starting address" or Base ID is one that trips everyone up at first.

Everyone understands a controller with 16 individual plugs. We call those plugs the channels, and they are part of the controller.

In DMX it is backwards. The channels are in the lights and need to be mapped into your "DMX Universe". The more confusing part is that they can be put anywhere in that map you choose. So the Starting Address defines where the 4 channels of this scanner will sit in your DMX Universe. You have one DMX universe it sounds like. So as mentioned to keep it simple, you were instructed to set the Starting Address at 1 on the scanner. Now that device will "listen to" and "react upon" any value in your sequence you provide in DMX Channel(s) 1-2-3-4.

A good way to visualize the above is what I created for Christmas Expo in 2010. They gave me 30 minutes to present DMX and I had to figure out how to get the light bulb to go on in a short time. That was about as simple as I could make it.

http://www.woodinvillewonderland.com/images/ChristmasExpo/ChristmasExpo2011DMX%20Basics.pdf

Edited by zman

Ramping will make things happen but when programming it is the intensity of the channel that you are after. A full on will not cause your device to do exactly what you want in most cases. The manual should tell you what number you need to do something on a channel. That number is an intensity you need to sequence in LOR seq editor. So instead of full on you will need to put that intensity in the channel.

Full on is intensity 255, 0 intensity is off. So look in your manual to determine what value you need to do what you are after. Then program that in the seq editor.

Hopefully that makes some sense.

Ok Im using XLIGHTS to set up my Scanner and to be honest i think im not programming it right. cuz the dmx light on the scanner dont light up but when both scanner plug in together to test the cord the are working. so i need to learn to program it to the computer.