Light-O-Rama Forums

Led rope light plugs

ericg2000

I started making me singing faces and just ordered some rope light. As you know it only comes with one plug. I bought a few plugs last year but I was wondering if there is any way to make my own. Or who's got the cheapest connector kits right now. Thanks

There was a thread with some pictures a couple of years ago,

It is fairly simple to make your own.  Take SPT wire and tin the two wires with about 1/2 out of the insulation, put a male plug on the other end.   If you look at the rope light where it was cut from the end you will see the two wires that run along the rope light and end at the cut.  Using an AWL make a hole next to each of the wires about 1/2 deep. The wire needs to be exposed inside the hole.  Put some heat shrink tubing on the SPT wire big enough to go over the rope light and slide it out of the way.  Push the two tinned ends of the SPT wire into the holes you made.  Each of the wires from the SPT wire and the wires from inside the rope light MUST touch the wire in the SPT, but not each other. Test the connection (carefully). Slide the heat shrink tubbing over the connection and squirt in a little silicone sealent into the heat shrink tubbing.  Apply heat .As the tubbing shrinks it will create a seal, excess silicone will be expelled.        

This is for incandescent rope lights ONLY. 

Use extreeme caution  you are dealing with 120 Volt that can be deadly.  There is a real risk when messing with this stuff.  If you are NOT experianced and confortable, best to use manufactured cords only !         

Edited by jerrymac

Awesome. I figured there was a way. And I have plenty of spt laying around lol

Good thread guys, and thanks for the suggestions.   

I'm neither endorsing or recommending against this method which apparently works, but I just want to breathe a word of caution so that people can make their own informed decision.    We have to remember that a lot of people read these postings, and some, espeically newbies, may not be aware of some nuances of this DIY project.  Perhaps, out of an abundance of caution, there should be a distinction made here along with a safety note that I didn't immediate see in the accompanying instructions.

1. LED rope lights are NOT the same as Incandescent rope lights that use AC power.   LED ropes MUST have a separate power supply that isnt compatible with incandescent ropelights to modify and convert electrical energy that can be applied to those specific ropelights.  There's high risk of damage/fire if AC is applied to LED ropelights.

2.  Using this DIY procedure appears to be quite cost effective and probably works well, but the DIYer MUST understand that he/she is accepting elevated risk anytime they use a non-UL approved solution.  In this case, there is a higher degree of risk of the wires pulling out and shorting together than is present with the friction fit plugs which will continue to keep the powered pins separate even if the plug is pulled out.     

There are a lot of ways to cut costs, and a lot of corners can be cut safely.  Its up the the DIYer to determine what their skill level is, and what risks they want to assume.

Just trying to be helpful. 

I use the cheap indoor extension cords.  They cost under $2.00 at Home Depot.  Cut off the female plug and then attach this end to the rope light.  The other end already has the male plug. 

I use the cheap indoor extension cords.  They cost under $2.00 at Home Depot.  Cut off the female plug and then attach this end to the rope light.  The other end already has the male plug.

I did the same thing back when 6' cords were well under $1. I used the receptacle and about 2' of the cord for DIY controller dongles. The plug and the rest of the wire was used to power each of the 7 single-section pieces of rope light I used for my yard fans.

Just FYI, 120v rope light accepts 120v. LED or incandescent. My rope light is 120v LED and I used the method shown in my link. I guess you could purchase 12v rope light so be careful of what voltage you should use.

Also, for my rope polarity mattered. Get it backwards and no output.

And as a third source, Ray also sells the rope light connectors with AC power cords. They are cheap but as always the shipping from China kills the savings. But if you need to place an order adding them would be a good alternative.

Mine are 120v led. I'm not to worried about the spt getting yanked out. I don't usually let people walk thru my display. Plus I'll make the pig tail short and zip tie it to the pvc frame