Light-O-Rama Forums

Do the LED tubes/snowfall tubes go on sale?

aegault

I love these- but yikes on the price!

Anyone have ideas if these go on sale/what might I be lucky to get them for if I'm patient?

I found these on aliexpress...

www.tinyurl.com/oaplz7p

That's 8 tubes, 50cm long (almost 20in) with 30leds per tube...

At $18 ish a pop, that seems like a really good deal. Good feedback too.

Edited by aegault

I bought these a bit ago. http://www.ebay.com/itm/370935745323?var=640143506820&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I have been running a few sets of them just to burn them in and so far all is good.  I will take them apart and replace the cheap wire with 20'-30' cables and reseal them.  I did that last year with the 30cm tubes and they work great.  Not extremely bright but great accents.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I'm seeing plenty of these on Ebay for around $20 per 8 tubes in the 50cm size.

Anything I should know/watch out for prior to investing?

I'm thinking I'd need at least 4 sets.

Don't hang the tubes by it's wires!  Fabricate a stiff wire around the tube to hang it,  the wires are thin and winds will eventually break the wires.  They aren't as bright as some of my other tubes, but they have a very nice effect and worth getting.

Don't hang the tubes by it's wires!  Fabricate a stiff wire around the tube to hang it,  the wires are thin and winds will eventually break the wires.  They aren't as bright as some of my other tubes, but they have a very nice effect and worth getting.

That is why I removed their wiring and installed my own.  I made much longer lengths and used cable that I could mount with..

There's been a shift lately where instead of selling pre-built units, companies are starting to sell the components so you can get exactly what you want, how long, you want it, and where you want it.

Example being what I sell on my store. We used to have pre-built falling tube strings but now we sell the tubes separately and you can attach them to any C9 cord-set. It gives you complete control of the spacing and length. I'm planning on using them with my charity show this year because I have a cord-set that separates each drop by 24" to 48". 

Take a look here if you're curious :)

http://store.lightsmusicmagic.com/Snowfall-Tubes-Retrofits_c_1868.html

I got 4 sets for about $60 plus shipping from Aliexpress about 4 years ago.

Only problem I had is they are glass tubes and I broke one 2 years ago.

I only needed 3 sets so I do have a spare but the broken one still works.

Well worth it..

Hello all,

did anyone made those snowfall tubes  dmx programmable or triggerable  in order to define how the tube behaves driven by the sequencer, instead of more ore less random behaviour?

Dick

The Netherlands

Check out a store called All Things Christmas on the internet they have snowfall tubes and good pricing.

I invested in quite a few last year and ordered more for this year as well. Like scubado and plasmadrive I did a little re-wiring for better support.  I also drilled a small hole in the bottom of each tube in case any water got inside.  I'll honest, I really didn't pay attention as to whether or not it was necessary.  The plugs aren't water proof so I wrapped them up in electrical tape, didn't have any problems there.  They seemed to be one of everyone's favorite things in my display last year so that's why I'm going bigger with them this year. If you buy from a foreign site, just make sure it has the correct plug.

I even used a couple of strands for my 4th of July set.  I took a small piece of chicken wire and zip tied a strand in a circle to make it look like fireworks.  When you first turn them on, all the strands "drip" at the same time.  Letting them on for a longer period make them go more random.  So I just timed them to turn off and on to keep the firework effect.  I have a couple of them hanging on my front porch. 

• The topic was locked