Light-O-Rama Forums

LED Fairy Lights

mpha9c

I just have a question for everyone out there.

What are your thoughts on LED Fairy Lights to use with the LOR Units? I purchased a green set off Amazon and it was really cheap. I connected it to my LOR unit and seems to work ok. I am considering using them; mainly for Halloween, since they are on the cheaper end of the LEDs and should serve there purpose.

Thoughts please

Can you post a link as to what you got?  There are a couple different styles of these lights under the same name.

LED or incandescent - it doesn't matter.  You can run multi-function light sets on a channel from a LOR controller, but your options are limited to either full on or completely off.  Any other lighting function runs the risk - with a rather high probability - of frying the little brain in those sets.

Nice price.  I tried looking for these online a year or so ago and couldn't find them.  They went for $35 a set at a local garden center.  These lights are indoor only. 

• 5 months later...

LED or incandescent - it doesn't matter.  You can run multi-function light sets on a channel from a LOR controller, but your options are limited to either full on or completely off.  Any other lighting function runs the risk - with a rather high probability - of frying the little brain in those sets.

What you're saying, if I understand, is that using LED Fairy Rope Light is feasible for LOR controllers, but you can only turn them on and off. You cannot dim (i.e. 100%-90-80-70-etc., or 0->100%), twinkle or shimmer them without potentially ruining the strand.

Do I understand this correctly?

Also... Looking at LED rope light websites, I can't find a good dealer/shop that sells 3/8" cuttable LED rope light for good deals. The best I found is $65/150 ft, but that is only for two of the colors I need for my whole project. What do you all recommend for light vendors?

Which brings me to another question:

Is it possible to "mix-n-match" different LED rope strands (that have similar specs [dimmable, 3/8" 120 volt, etc...]) in a LOR display, running LOR effects? Or would it be recommended to just buy everything from one vendor?

To continue that further, power kits do not come with all the LED packs I would buy... Does one power kit fit all LED of the same specs [specs: see above def. for info]?

For example, I buy 1 strand of rope light from Vendor A, 2 from Vendor B, and 3 from Vendor C. [6 total strands] However, only Vendor A sells power kits for rope light with their products. If I bought an additional 5 from Vendor A for lights from Vendor B and C, could I use them, even though the lights are from different vendors?

Last question:

My operating computer for the shows running every night will be located indoors. Do you recommend using a doggy door to fish wires from inside to the outside? Or just a circular hole in the door that would be large enough for wires to be fed in/out without snags, while preventing hands to reach in and steal equipment?

LN

P.S. I'm new to the lighting scene this year, btw. Please help! The season is almost starting!

I can't say for certain for ANY product with it's own multifunction controller because I've never tried it personally. But if it makes you stop and think and/or proceed carefully, then my purpose has been achieved.

Whether you can mix and match LED rope light hardware is beyond my knowledge. I'd check with the individual vendors. (I might even pay to hear those conversations.)

I wish I was of a size to use the doggy door. But alas, I'd be forced to use the regular door myself. I envy you having the choice. Before I endorse drilling a hole in the door, I'd be more apt to support drilling a hole in the wall the door is mounted in. What specific door are you referring to?

Edited by George Simmons

George,

For me, the door would be one that is goes in/outside the garage. It is a side door. 90% of the equipment (incl. computer, controllers) will be in the garage for security and to keep it in good weather. More than likely, the equipment will be unplugged when the show ends and brought inside for storage. (Just the expensive controllers and computer.)

It isn't so much a size of equipment, (we only will be using two controllers (20 channels this year)) but rather the best option to bring the plugs to the controllers. Thanks!

LN

Gadzooks!  You must live in one rough neighborhood.  I've heard of people keeping their stuff in the garage - it's a fairly common practice.  But I've never before encountered anyone who unplugs everything and brings the controllers in the house each night.

George,

I originally was going to say no, because crime isn't a big deal (however, fancy light systems new to the neighborhood may attract certain crowds other than pleased viewers) where I live, but the police helicopter and cop cars chasing a known fugitive (and the criminal escaping) a couple of nights back made me re-think my response. I have not been able to get in touch with vendors regarding fairy light brand A vs brand B, but will let you know when I do. Also, I was thinking (for my door dilemma) that I would make either a circular or square hole and have it plugged up with just the wires able to get through a fraction of the hole. (Kind of like those plugs in computer/office desks...)

Thanks for feedback!

LN