Light-O-Rama Forums

Really don't know where to start

killkam

Hi guys,

I just recently purchased a Cosmic Color Ribbon. I have it plugged into my computer but I don't know where to start in order to begin sequencing. What do I have to do first? How do I make sure everything is set up correctly?

Thanks

You'll want to open the LOR Sequence Editor, and create a new animation sequence. You'll use this sequence to get a feel for how the Sequence Editor works. Once you have a sequence open, and presumably a few channels in there from the defaults, right click the last channel and say "insert device." Select a Cosmic Color Device from the drop down, and accept the rest of the defaults for now.

That will get you started on programming the CCR. Be sure to look at the top of the forums for the video tutorials. They are a wealth of information.

• Like 1

Don is right on the money there. Check out all the tutorials as they will best guide you getting started and then some! I don't know if a basic license will let you control a CCR or not but if you are going to get into this hobby, go straight to the Advanced license. CCR's seem to be best programmed using SuperStar which is a different license level on top of the Advanced. I own a single CCR myself. As much as I'd love to own 12 to 16 of them, the cost is prohibative for me. They are powerful devices though and you can do a lot with them. There are macro functions within them that the HWU can address for testing purposes. Please make sure you carefully read the manuals that came with it.

Past that, most of us have 16 channel controllers for light strings. If you have those or will have them, there's a lot you can do with them. RGB both dumb and smart strips/pixels/CCB's/CCP's are the newest rage and there's a learning curve with them as well. Once you have the basics down, start with a plan of your house/yard and what you would like to accomplish your first year. Don't wait too long as this hobby takes time and you are already behind on the schedule to get it done. Sequencing takes the most time but its fun and a pain at the same time. The reward for most of us is seeing the lights come to life for the holiday you programmed for. For me, its seeing the grandchildren dancing to the music, eyes wide open to all the lights and so on.

Show your location therefore possibly someone close to you might be willing to assist you. Welcome to our madneess!

Edited by dgrant

Hi guys,

I just recently purchased a Cosmic Color Ribbon. I have it plugged into my computer but I don't know where to start in order to begin sequencing. What do I have to do first? How do I make sure everything is set up correctly?

Thanks

You said that you plugged your new CCR into your computer.  Do you mean that you ran an RJ-45 cable from the CCR controller to a LAN port on your computer (or a LAN switch) or did you plug the cable from the CCR into a LOR USB485 adapter which is then plugged into a USB port on your computer (or a USB hub)?

The RJ-45 on the CCR is NOT an ethernet LAN connection.  It's a RS-485 standard serial connection.  Plugging the CCR into an ethernet LAN port could damage either the CCR controller or LAN port.

You'll want to open the LOR Sequence Editor, and create a new animation sequence. You'll use this sequence to get a feel for how the Sequence Editor works. Once you have a sequence open, and presumably a few channels in there from the defaults, right click the last channel and say "insert device." Select a Cosmic Color Device from the drop down, and accept the rest of the defaults for now.

That will get you started on programming the CCR. Be sure to look at the top of the forums for the video tutorials. They are a wealth of information.

Hey thanks. This is what I was looking for. However, it only uses about 3/4 of my CCR. Is there something that I need to change?

Hey thanks. This is what I was looking for. However, it only uses about 3/4 of my CCR. Is there something that I need to change?

"It" is what? 

Are you adding a CCR to your sequence, but it's only adding 36 RGB channels? 

Are you programming the CCR but only 3/4 of the CCR responds to commands?

Before you begin trying to make a complete sequence I would play, test and try.... Know what you like don't like etc. flip through YouTube and try and recreate effects you see and like. From experience doing a sequence and then seeing an effect after the fact and then going back is not fun

"It" is what?

Are you adding a CCR to your sequence, but it's only adding 36 RGB channels?

Are you programming the CCR but only 3/4 of the CCR responds to commands?

It being the sequence editor. What should my hardware settings look like? And yes only 3/4 of the CCR responds.

I wouldn't worry about hardware settings right now.

So you add a CCR in a manner similar to this video, and when you program all 50 RGB channels, only 3/4 responds?

If that's the case, sounds like you may have a bad ribbon.

Also, here is a really old demo sequence I put out. If memory serves, it is set to Unit 01, which is what the CCR controller is set to when you purchase it. Open that sequence and see if the entire CCR responds.