Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller location

circleracer44

This will be my first year using light o rama stuff I no they say the controllers are weather prof but were I live it can be real cold and a lot of snow. I have a way to run cords into the basement but would use a lot more spt cord. Just wanted to get others thoughts on this.

I put mine in the yard close to their lights. Over the years they have seen a lot of rain, snow, ice, been buried in snow..... Never an issue. Save the SPT and move them out of the basement

Agree with Jim. I know of one city that uses the residential controllers in their display, and they haven't had a problem yet. (At least not when the doors are closed.)

At my old house I had controllers stashed under the bushes with a trash bag over them. Never a problem.

Ok just been spending a lot of money and don't want to make a dumb mistake which I no will happen at some point lol. I have read that someone has made what looks to be presents and put them in there as well

Place them behind your element mounted upright, not laying on the ground. Make sure you screw the lid shut and place a black trash bag over. Will never see it, never get water In it. Trash bag is only to black it out to keep it out of sight

I agree with all previous replies.

The difference in price, comparing the cost of a controller to 16 long pieces of spt with vampire connectors on each end really isn't all that much.  The difference in aggravation in not having to deal with all those long cords is considerable.

The 8 controllers I use for my year round landscape lighting are scattered in 4 locations so they are all reasonably close to the lights they control. Two of the controllers are in PVC electrical boxes, three are in the attic, and three are inside a brick column. One of the PVC boxes gets watered by the lawn sprinklers every time the sprinklers run and I have not had any problems. For Christmas last 2 years I added a pixel tree and star that had the E682 in an 8x8x4 electrical box on the back side of the star. For Christmas 2014 there will be 6 strings of CCPs in 6 arches with the controllers between each pair of arches. I will use the trash bag over the CCP controllers as others have said as much to hide them as to add another layer of weather protection.

As others have said, put them out in the display and keep the cable runs shorter - you will be glad you did.

I wouldn't be to overly concerned with cold and snow. I'm a Canadian with the residential style boxes and they worked flawlessly last year and that was in steady -15C. A cold snap of -30C wasn't an issue the cords however do get very stuff so once you find a location I wouldn't recommend moving anything around

I have had a couple of my boxes out 2 years +30c (around 100f) to -35c (-31f) with no issues.

Just bolt them down.

What about problems with theft? I haven't experienced that with my static displays... but more concerned now that I'm putting $800 worth of controllers in my yard.

I figure hiding them in the bushes is definitely the way to go.

I make mine "a pain" to remove, but nothing extraordinary.  I may zip-tie one to rebar or u-bolt to the mega tree pole.  I even like to zip-tie the cords to things that don't easily move.  None of these will stop theft, but makes the thief take a bit of time.  Thief's prefer snatch & go.  There are not likely anyone - other than another enthusiast that would know what the boxes are or how to use them.  I don't try to hide mine, but do try to put them behind things (shrubs, trees, display items) & no one even notices they are there - even those that are still out in plan site.

Having said this, I know not every neighborhood is as safe as mine - in some areas, nothing is safe in a yard.

I don't try to hide mine, but do try to put them behind things (shrubs, trees, display items) & no one even notices they are there - even those that are still out in plan site.

Tim's complete post is probably one of the ten best pieces of advice a newbie (or even a near-noob) could ever get.

The words I quoted above are totally true. If what you've created in your yard is even moderately captivating, people aren't going to go away remembering much - if anything - about your infrastructure.

Our yard is mostly encircled by a standard issue 4' chain link fence. I hang about a dozen or more controllers all over the place on the fence. They're all gray, all of them are at least 2' from the ground, and no one notices them. I don't bother even covering them. They aren't what people came to see; they don't light up.

What I think would be a far more inviting target is any extension cords you have that contain copper. I spend more time worrying about those than the controllers.

Edited by George Simmons

I have started making boxes that will look like small presents in the yard that i am putting them under and will work them into the display somehow. not only will they not be seen but will help protect from the weather as well.

• Like 1

What about problems with theft? I haven't experienced that with my static displays... but more concerned now that I'm putting $800 worth of controllers in my yard.

I figure hiding them in the bushes is definitely the way to go.

I attach mine to poles that I use for my mini trees, out of site.

The ones for my mega tree are attached to the pole as well.

Hey Paul,

Just had a look at your webpage, looks pretty good. Are your minitree poles adjustable in height, great idea and how do you attach the controllers. Also are you happy with wix.com for your host.

Cheers

Daryl B.

I agree with everything said above. 2 things I will add to the mix.

First, after show hours, have light on in your yard. It deters folks from entering and clearly being seen.

Next, I lay all my controllers on ground near the display elements. I put them on small ramps, so simply put, a 1x12x24 and at one end I place a 2x2x12. Then I screw the controller to the 2x2 end. This does 2 things. First it keeps your plugs off the lawn, second, should any water ever enter, it gives it the slope toward the plug holes to escape. Lastly, I use the Costco black plastic yard bags and lay the unfolded flat bag over the controller(s)and secure to the ground with "U" stakes. This too adds another level of complexity for anyone wanting to get mischievous. I can cover 2/3 controllers with one bag. This keeps the majority of the weather out, hides them at night because folks are not looking at the lawn, and they are black so invisible for the most part.