Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR DMX controll

Gworkin

Hello Im new to the LOR forum, but am not new to LOR products. im trying to upgrade my system to some new moving heads and dmx lasers. do I have to buy the LOR dmx dongle or will any dongle work with the S3 software? I have a gaffer 3 pin to usb will this work with the software? thanks for taking the time and reading this hope you can help

Gworkin, on 11 Apr 2014 - 9:29 PM, said:

Hello Im new to the LOR forum, but am not new to LOR products. im trying to upgrade my system to some new moving heads and dmx lasers. do I have to buy the LOR dmx dongle or will any dongle work with the S3 software? I have a gaffer 3 pin to usb will this work with the software? thanks for taking the time and reading this hope you can help

The easiest and quickest solution is to get the iDMX1000. It was on sale recently.

With the Hardware Utility, you can test your DMX gear very easily.

If it's out of your budget, there are others like DMXKing, Enttec and the Actidongle.

All of those have external DMX timing that isn't dependent on your computer.

These are more difficult to setup, since it involves using Xlights, another software product.

Here's a video I put together on programming moving lights with the iDMX1000.

There are MANY videos on Youtube that may help also.

Your Gaffer will probably work but expect to use the Xlights software to setup the parameters.