Light-O-Rama Forums

beat wizard extra timing added

medman2000

Definitely enjoying playing with LORII!

When I use the beat wizard, with as many different combinations of options that I can think of, it still seems to insert new timing spots throughout the song - which can be helpful - but it messes up my copying and pasting at times.

Anyone know how to use beat wizard and have it not insert new timings?

Thanks!

If you already assign a time such as 0.10 or 0.05 and then use beat wizzard you will get what seems like extra timings. The beat wizzard is best used with a new sequence and starting from scratch.

I understan what you mean as some of the channels boxes (timings) are smaller than others. The beat wizzards inserts the beats where they are reguardless of the timing selected.

To answer your question the only way to change it is to assign different channels to different tracks from your original and then insert the beats you want in each track. Then keep what you want on the predetermined time you selected at the start.

Tapper Wizzard will do the same thing BTW.

Gotcha, makes sense thanks! It worked a lot better when I used the beat wizard instead of preset timings when I started a sequence. It then let me add beats to a channel that fit perfectly without changing the sizing of the timing boxes (or adding new ones, etc). At least not as long as I used the same BPM as it used when it initially loaded the song.

Thanks again!

I really don't like how the beat wizard adds extra events. If you are the type that works on a grid with .05 timing and such, it really screws up your sequence by adding all those extra events.

Because of this, I just use the tapper wizzard because you can tell it to use exact timing (such as .05) so it will not create any new events.

This is one thing I mentioned and I hope that sometime in the future that LOR fixes this because you can't really use it if you like to work on a grid (which I do because I am always cutting and pasting patterns from different sequences). You should be able to tell it to just turn a "cell" On and then off on a beat.

This is one trick you can do though to keep your "grid" intact. Create a new track and use the Beat Wizard. It will then create a events in your new track based on the beat. You can then copy the beat channel and set the paste mode to "by time" and then paste it into your orignal track that is based on a grid. It will then paste the beat and not create any new events that will cause your cut and paste to screw up.

richardh wrote:

I really don't like how the beat wizard adds extra events. If you are the type that works on a grid with .05 timing and such, it really screws up your sequence by adding all those extra events.

Because of this, I just use the tapper wizzard because you can tell it to use exact timing (such as .05) so it will not create any new events.

This is one thing I mentioned and I hope that sometime in the future that LOR fixes this because you can't really use it if you like to work on a grid (which I do because I am always cutting and pasting patterns from different sequences). You should be able to tell it to just turn a "cell" On and then off on a beat.

This is one trick you can do though to keep your "grid" intact. Create a new track and use the Beat Wizard. It will then create a events in your new track based on the beat. You can then copy the beat channel and set the paste mode to "by time" and then paste it into your orignal track that is based on a grid. It will then paste the beat and not create any new events that will cause your cut and paste to screw up.

Richard,

By using some of the other new features in the sequence Editor your can get what you want.

• Add a channel in your grid that you will use to hold the beat.
  • Right Click on that channel and select (Copy to other track->Copy to new track)
  • You will now have a new track with that just that one channel in it. Name the new track "Beat Track" or something like that.
  • When you run the Beat Wizard save the changes to the beat track that way no new timings will be created in the original track BUT you will see "Lighting Events" also appear in the first track as well as the Beat Track. No new timings are added to the original track!

With respect to the issue of trying to copy a section of a grid to another when the timings are different. LOR II will allow you to copy from a grid to another and will ignore the timing marks! To do this, Under the Edit Menu Click "Paste Mode"Paste You will see that there are two Paste Modes... "Paste By Time" and "Paste By Cell". "Paste By Cell" is what you have used in LOR I. "Paste By Time" is new and will allow you to copy and paste ignoring the timing marks.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

richardh wrote:

Richard,

By using some of the other new features in the sequence Editor your can get what you want.

• Add a channel in your grid that you will use to hold the beat.
  • Right Click on that channel and select (Copy to other track->Copy to new track)
  • You will now have a new track with that just that one channel in it. Name the new track "Beat Track" or something like that.
  • When you run the Beat Wizard save the changes to the beat track that way no new timings will be created in the original track BUT you will see "Lighting Events" also appear in the first track as well as the Beat Track. No new timings are added to the original track!

With respect to the issue of trying to copy a section of a grid to another when the timings are different. LOR II will allow you to copy from a grid to another and will ignore the timing marks! To do this, Under the Edit Menu Click "Paste Mode"Paste You will see that there are two Paste Modes... "Paste By Time" and "Paste By Cell". "Paste By Cell" is what you have used in LOR I. "Paste By Time" is new and will allow you to copy and paste ignoring the timing marks.

Dan

Perfect!!!! Thanks!

If you have a mess with timing because you've used the beat wizard on top of a timing scale that you already had in place, you can go to Edit->Timings->Delete Extraneous Timings. It does a pretty good job of cleaning things up. And if you don't like it, you can Edit->Undo Delete Timings. You gotta love that!