Light-O-Rama Forums

PEX Tubing

12thebigeasy

Does anyone have any experience using PEX tubing for things like arches and  marty fans?

Will it bow under the weight of the lights

Was Thinking about using it as an inner sleeve and wind the lights on larger diameter pipe or tbing

As a newbie, looking for advice

• Like 1

I use PEX tubing on my mini-arches, they are only about 24" high. I have no problems with those but if you wanted to make regular size arches then I don't think it would be strong enough.

here's a video I put together for someone who was using the 3 LED Pixel modules. You'll actually need to manhandle the 1" a bit and secure it the total opposite than you would PVC.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o1xtluzjue1n9qv/20140404_200540.jpg

This is a pic of how I did mine last year using the 1" and CCPs.

The 1", You could probably put 150 lbs spread out and I don't think it will bow. 

Thanks for the spedy replies. I learned I should be more specific. I am making minim arches and will use the 1/2" PEX. Hated to do all the work then find out it wouldnt work.

Happy decorating all

I'm trying 1.75" ID, 2" OD, HDPE tubing from McMaster-Carr, high density polyethylene tube, used for water supply. Using the info from this thread: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?27542-HDPE-Arches

Looks awesome, transfers light nicely through the tubing.

I'm trying 1.75" ID, 2" OD, HDPE tubing from McMaster-Carr, high density polyethylene tube, used for water supply. Using the info from this thread: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?27542-HDPE-Arches

Looks awesome, transfers light nicely through the tubing.

Quite a bit more expensive though isn't it? The PEX is a local pickup so none of the outrageous shipping charges I read about. From the videos I saw in that thread, it looks very similar to the PEX tubing. I would have to see them side by side in real life to make a comparison.

That's just my opinion though. I just can't justify the cost and amount you have to buy. I stopped following that thread after I saw what everybody was having to pay for shipping.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Quite a bit more expensive though isn't it? The PEX is a local pickup so none of the outrageous shipping charges I read about. From the videos I saw in that thread, it looks very similar to the PEX tubing. I would have to see them side by side in real life to make a comparison.

That's just my opinion though. I just can't justify the cost and amount you have to buy. I stopped following that thread after I saw what everybody was having to pay for shipping.

Most definitely, cost is huge compared to PEX. 50' cost me roughly $150. I like the large diameter of the HDPE. Probably overkill but I'm deep into this disease and I just couldn't resist.

Ron, how did you bend that pex and get it to stay in that shape?

I buy it in a roll. The bend is automatic