Light-O-Rama Forums

Channel Configuration

A10LM

Hi Folks,  :-)

I have had the problem where I accidentally used the same channel number for two separate fixtures, and didn't notice until it was too late to correct it.

1.  Is there a way to turn on a warning message if you select a channel that is already in use?

2.  The Sequence Editor has Tools / Channel Configuration, is there something similar in the Visualizer?  If not, could it be added?

3.  Is there a way to Import Channel configurations?

4.  I would like to see visually which channels are in use or not.  What do you think of the idea of adding a tool bar that has the list of controllers in a drop down box, and then a row or two of little tiny check boxes or command buttons to represent each channel on the selected controller?  The tool tip box could show the channel number as well as list which fixtures are attached to it (if any).  If the channel is in use it could either display a check mark, an "X" or just be grayed out.  If you click on an unused channel, the next control that you create or touch could be assigned that channel.

What do you think?

Thanks,  :-)

Tony.

You can import a Channel Reference file which can be a huge time saver.

Also, see this thread about keeping your SE and Viz in sync. It has some very good information, and can save you quite a bit of time.

You can import a Channel Reference file which can be a huge time saver.

Also, see this thread about keeping your SE and Viz in sync. It has some very good information, and can save you quite a bit of time.

Don,

Your link goes to this thread?

That sounds like a very complicated way to do a simple thing...  At the very least, how about copy & paste the Sequence Editor / Tools / Channel Configuration into Visualizer and add a column at the end where you can pick unassigned fixtures names from a drop down list?

That sounds like a very complicated way to do a simple thing...  At the very least, how about copy & paste the Sequence Editor / Tools / Channel Configuration into Visualizer and add a column at the end where you can pick unassigned fixtures names from a drop down list?

Given LOR's previous pace of software releases, I don't think that's something we'd see anytime soon.

That said, while the method I mentioned may seem complicated, it's not. This method also gives you a fairly easy way to re-assign controller within the Visualizer via the Sequence Editor and the Viz Channel Import.

• 4 months later...

A related question...

I have setup my display in the Visualizer, with no assigned channels, but I have 4 display pieces that do not work in the simulation mode of the Visualizer. I have checked and re-checked (several times) to make sure the "Channel Names" match exactly what I have in my master channel file for the SE. Any idea what I might be missing?

A related question...

I have setup my display in the Visualizer, with no assigned channels, but I have 4 display pieces that do not work in the simulation mode of the Visualizer. I have checked and re-checked (several times) to make sure the "Channel Names" match exactly what I have in my master channel file for the SE. Any idea what I might be missing?

Email the files to me, and I'll take a look. lorhelp@synchronized.christmas

I sent the files to Don, and he got back to me pretty quick, 

I did not see it, but Don saw that I actually had an extra space at the end of the "Channel Name" in the Visualizer and not in my Master Channel File, that's why the 4 display pieces in question, didn't work in the Simulation Mode.

A good tip for anyone else who might have the same issue... Make sure your channel names match exactly, with your SE channel list and the Visualizer.

I can definitely see how something so simple, can get overlooked and stop things from working as they should  :)

Thank you Don!!