Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB strip form factor

bobschm

I'm confused about pixel density on strips. Is this correct:

2811 strip: pixel is three LEDs and a chip spanning a couple of inches. Pixels per meter is a third of the LEDs per meter figure.

2812B strip: pixel is a single LED pack with a chip inside. Pixels per meter is identical to LEDs per meter.

Ink1003 strip: same as 2812B.

Now I am confused about what your confused about. So, I am just going to make some statements and see if any of them answer your questions.

Normially when a strips is powered by 12 volts, they string 3 of the RGB LEDs in series and then a control chip that your calling a pixel. And it is common that when the strip is rated at 5 volts that cant string 3 LEDs in series cause now the voltage is to low for that. So now we have a single RGB LED per chip.

What you need to watch for as far as the RGB LED density per meter. It is the LED that will make the light or brightness. But on the other hand if you want a high resolution cause you are making something like a matrix (small jumbotron display) Then you want to watch the density of the pixels (control chips). Again this is given in XX per meter. Only thing I would point out to you about your post is that the 2811 and 2812 are control chips that control the intensity of the R, G, B LED is driven to. And I know that the 2811 is used on both 5 and 12 volt strips. So, be watchful of the rated voltage of the strip along with which chips are being used on the strip your looking at.

Hope that was of some help.

My brain hurts!

Your answer was helpful though. From what you said, I'm interested in pixel density or chip density, not necessarily LED density. I want to try making icicles and need dense strips so I think I need to stick with 5 volt strips where every LED is also a pixel.

NOW I get it. Thanks.

bobschm, on 04 Apr 2014 - 05:16 AM, said:

My brain hurts!

Your answer was helpful though. From what you said, I'm interested in pixel density or chip density, not necessarily LED density. I want to try making icicles and need dense strips so I think I need to stick with 5 volt strips where every LED is also a pixel.

NOW I get it. Thanks.

Contact Plasmadrive (Craig); he has lots of experience with hand made icicles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw9MmMt19Y8