Light-O-Rama Forums

New to this needing some info.

optima23

Ok I am looking at buying the showtime central starter package. They are sold out of the cosmic Color Ribbon so my question is I can get some 5 m addressable led ribbon from elsewhere but how can I use it with this system to be able to have different colors on the same ribbon simutaniously? Do I use a CMB-24 card (or does it only let you control a ribbon one solid color at a time.?)

Welcome to the forum optima23,

There will be another sale this summer, with plenty of inventory. There are lots of suppliers for 5m smart ribbons, but none that I know of with the out of box convenience like the LOR product. The 24 chan card is for dumb items (no pixel control) and is a good start is you are going to go the low voltage route. I currently use 3-24 DC chan card, 2-16 DC chan cards, 9-16 AC chan, DIY E 1.31 Bridge and a E682 pixel controller. All this is running on LOR SW with the SS upgrade and nutcracker for effects. You have plenty of research time before the summer sale, read, read, read. If you want to PM me, we can exchange contact info and I would be happy to help clear the fog and questions that you may have starting out in this hobby. I was born in Winnipeg, only miss it in the summer after the spring mosquito season.

Cheers

Daryl B.

Generally we call the RGB's either dumb (whole strip the same color) or Smart strips (either each individual or in groups of 3 LED different colors). The DC cards that LOR sells is for Dumb Strips only. If your going to go smart strips, then you will need a controller thats made for smart strips. I personally like the San Devices E682 or E6804 line of controllers. There is another group that makes several controllers, but at this moment the name slips my mind. Now these controllers do not need a RS-485 or DMX dongle like the LOR controllers use (RS-485). The San Devices plug into your network port (Ethernet). But both the LOR D.C. and the San Devices controllers need a D.C. power supply that is rated for the proper voltage. Smart strips are usually 5V or 12V, though I think I saw some 24V but not often.