Light-O-Rama Forums

Noobie Help

dan24438

This will be my first year using controllers and I’ve got some questions. I love the effects that RGB floods add to homes. I’m hoping to grab a 10W RGB flood 8 pack on the sale today. My question is does the cmb24d act as a separate controller from ctb16pc? If I understand what I’ve read it can be an add on controller (similar to running two separate ctb16pc’s but it’s just controlling the floods). The question sounds stupid when I read but want to ensure I understand what I'm getting into.

Second question, how hard are these to sequence? Being my first year I am planning to keep them fairly simple. Will I need any additional software to use these? Is this something I should even bother with since it’s my first year?

Third question, what kind of enclosure are you guys putting these in?

I programmed my floods using Super Star. It made it easy for me, but not necessary. the cmb24d does act as a separate controller. I will connect the CMB24 to my last 16 channel AC controller using cat 5.

Even if you put each flood on it's own channel, 8 RGB channels is something that you could probably sequence with one eye closed and nine fingers tied behind your back.

Don't forget to also order the power supply for the CMB24D.

• Like 1

Yep! Forgot to mention the power supply Mr. George. Need to also think about a weather proof box for the board. LOR told me I should also mount the power supply inside a weatherproof box even though it says it's waterproof.

The card itself will fit in a CG-1500 enclosure easily. The CG-1500 is 10.375" x 10.00" x 3.50". The CMB-24D card is 7.25" x 4". Depending on the size of the power supply, both should fit in this enclosure quite nicely. Will probably need some sort of backer board to mount in the box and then mount the PS and Card to the backer board. Plexi is what I use. diyledexpress.com sells a mounting kit for ~$8. the box is about $10-$15 depending on where you purchase it.

Now, once you create the RGB flood channels in your channel config, it then, is as easy as selecting your color, selecting the effect and putting it in the sequence.

I agree with indi, I do all of my sequencing in Superstar, but Superstar is not necessary. This year for me, will be over 10K channels and that, I think, without Superstar, would be a nightmare otherwise. Once the new updates that have been promised are released, it may not be so bad.

Edited by Ron Boyd

I actually mounted my power supply and card in one of these.  It has a divider in the middle and I put the power supply on the bottom and the card on top.  The price on the page says $33, but I paid $25.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-Outdoor-Timer-Box-57095/100158884