Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Dumb Ribbons

NEWTOUR

I was just wondering if you can turn on only part of you dumb strip at a time. I was thinking of using the dumb ribbon to make a Mega tree, but didn't think it would look very good if you can only have it all on or all off(each 16' section)at a time. I would think it wouold only look right if you could cascade down each 16' section at a time. Thanks for suggetstions and help/ideas.

You have it right ..........dumb is the whole strip one color.   If you want more control than that, you have to go to CCRs or CCP's to get pixel control.

I ran a 12-foot mega tree with 8 spiral dumb RGB strips for a couple of years now. Visitors are still pretty impressed.

Ok, this gits a bit sticky. Normally one would use the whole 5 meters. But there is nothing in God's green earth that says you could not cut up that strip into 5, 1 meter strips and have it now broken up to 5 sections. But this would require more controllers or in my example 15 channels on a D.C. card. And it would require a lot more cables. But it could be done. Depends on the depth of your wallet and time to program it all in.

What you would need to do is to run to the first section 4 wires (ground, Red, Blue, & green wires). Then in the second section you would need 3 wires, (Red, Green,  & Blue). And so on for the next 3 sections. I might have the ground wrong, it would be a positive as the common wire. it can be done, but it would be costly as far as controllers and channels.

Max you are definatly a find a way to get it done kind of guy. where there is a will there is a  way.

Newtour I hope your still reading this thread. I just want to make one small correction. I would have to study the strip and look to see if they are running several LEDs in groups of say 3 over say about 3 or 4 inches. If the strip is powered by say 12 volts, it is common to have the LEDs in groups of 3 with AT LEAST the red with a resistor in series with 3 leds. Might even find a resistor in series with the blue LEDs of a 5050 RGB unit. So, just keep this in mind that there will be segments much like those Rope lights. Just instead of 39" it might be more like 3 or 4 inches.

Just look for a repeating pattern and then cut between the end of one pattern and the start of another.  On my smart strips, there is an indicated cut line with copper pads on both sides of the line.

Good luck.

Yes still checking the thread and thanks for the update. By the way I noticed that you and Indi are local, Do you guys know of any local mini's or anything this year? Always looking for ways to learn and deals to be had. It is nice to be 20 minutes from CDI and save on shipping. Haven't noticed much else close to here.

Out in KC city they put on a HAM (Heart of AMerica) and here in St. Louis they put on a SLAP (dont remember what it stands for). Watch for "It's me Bob" to announce something. If I hear something I will try to remember your screen name and drop you a note.

I actually went to a slam Bob put on at his place 2 years ago. I had a blast and learned a lot. Definitely let me know if you hear anything, Thanks I also wanted to ask you about a post I read where you commented to put your RGB's in PEX. Were those nodes or strips?

Strips. I made two 8' arches from one 5 meter strip cut in half. I presume you saw that I said I was buying the 10' x 3/4" from Home Depot. What I did was to cut off 2' and then cut that in half. Also bought 3 "T". And actually on one of the two 10' pipes, cut off only 1'. Reason is that one the arch closes to controller you want a plug at far end. But on second only need the one plug to go to first arch.

Does a great job protecting the strip and keeps it out of the weather. But the strip still needs to be sealed tight cause of just moisture in the air could condense in the tube. Also the tube does a great job of defusing the light and making the tube glow. Personally and some other must feel that it looks better.

I was thinking of doing a mega tree out of strips or pixels and I am just doing my research to decide which way to go. I have vinyl siding so I have to think of the easiest way to build and support without much support from the house. As of now it looks like the strips (682 controller and ws2811 strips)are looking better for the weather and look I will be going for. I think the animations and words look better with the strips.

Anyhow are you going to the HAM? Always nice to meet local enthusiasts. Also wanted to say thanks again for all the support.

Well lets just say that I have been a one man economic recovery stimulant. Between the fact that I have bought in the past 3 years 2 Chevy equinox SUVs, a tractor and now a new heating and cooling system. I am taxed to the max. Making all payments, just not much left for this kind of trips. This year instead of $3K on lights, it will be more like under $1K.  Wish I could though, did a few years ago and they put on a good meeting and much was learned. Met the Monkhouse's that year along with a great group out in KC area. I still have photos that I took at that meeting.