Light-O-Rama Forums

Max distance of Ethernet cable per each controller

Big Sanch Mafia

Im sure this has been posted numerous times, just wondering what the max or recommened max length you could dasiy chain a standard LOR controller(16 Ch) between another controller running LEDS?

Thanks,

Chad

Hi Chad,

Not sure what the absolute max length is but for the last two years I have had my CCR's daisy chained to my last controller in line and that run was 100' and have had no problems. The controllers were running both LED's and Incans. Hope this helps.

Al

What you have connected to the controllers doesn't matter.

The max distance per LOR network is about 4000' feet. This could, in theory, be extended with a LOR USB 485 Repeater device.

What you have connected to the controllers doesn't matter.

The max distance per LOR network is about 4000' feet. This could, in theory, be extended with a LOR USB 485 Repeater device.

great, thats way more than enough.. i thought it might be in the 100's

Thanks

Do not confuse a LOR network (RS-485) with what is known as Ethernet like a home or business computer network. BTW the Ethernet is good for 300 feet. BTW the white papers say 4000 feet for RS-485. But that is in a perfect world, your distance may vary.

Do not confuse a LOR network (RS-485) with what is known as Ethernet like a home or business computer network. BTW the Ethernet is good for 300 feet. BTW the white papers say 4000 feet for RS-485. But that is in a perfect world, your distance may vary.

Max,

not to get to technical but what is the major difference here between the two. I read alot of your responses but at times i get lost with your knowledge. i daisy chained two controllers last year, they were side by side tho and used an ethernet cable that i had lying around. I did a quick google comparison and cant quite seem to find the major difference.

This year i will daisy chain a box that is about 30-40' away from the next one... just want to make sure im set up correctly.

Thanks Chad

Big Sanch Mafia,  

The simple answer to your question is that it's just a different communication protocol with different requirements/capabilities.    The two cannot co-exist well so you need to keep them on separate networks.  The connectors/wire (Cat-5 and RJ-45) are generally compatible with either technology.

Max-Paul was likely trying to help folks differentiate between the transmission length capabilities between the LOR (RS-485) and the E1.31 technologies which are both highly prevalent solutions for animated lighting controls.   He's on target for the distances each network can travel.   One small refinement to his Ethernet distance statement would be that each Ethernet "Leg" must be 100meters (~330ft) in a perfect world as stated, but the total distance of your network can extend up to 4 legs if you use a powered switch every 100meters to regenerate the signal due to transmission path degredation.  (The 5-4-3 rule)    

Edited by Bizywk

"This year i will daisy chain a box that is about 30-40' away from the next one... just want to make sure im set up correctly.

Thanks Chad"

Should pose no problem. My longest run on my Reg network last year was a 100' Cat6 cable to the first box. 30'-40' will be just fine.

• Like 1

Lets not call the cable Ethernet cable. Lets call it Cat5 cable. I can take SPT 1 or 2 and put a D.C. voltage on it or an A.C. voltage. Still the same wire but with totally non-compatible voltages. This is the same with the Cat 5 cable. You can put either RS-485 (LOR) or Ethernet type communication on the same wire. But neither are compatible with the other. And due to the voltages, you could damage equipment. So as another has warned you, do not mix the two. LOR used this type of wire and connector cause it was easy for the users (us) to buy in stores or many of us make our own custom length cables. But as you an see, can also be confusing to many.

Max,

not to get to technical but what is the major difference here between the two. I read alot of your responses but at times i get lost with your knowledge. i daisy chained two controllers last year, they were side by side tho and used an ethernet cable that i had lying around. I did a quick google comparison and cant quite seem to find the major difference.

This year i will daisy chain a box that is about 30-40' away from the next one... just want to make sure im set up correctly.

Thanks Chad

The big difference is the data speed. The newest LOR "High-Speed" network is 500Kbps, while a typical home computer network is 100Mbps. This is 200 times faster than LOR.

The faster the data is on a cable, the less distance it reaches before the signal has degraded to the point where it is not reliable.

The LOR network uses a lower speed because it's a very efficient protocol, and is not used to transfer "computer" stuff like images.

Thanks guys, this makes sense.

To be clear both types of cable should say what it is on the casing right?

Look at one that is coming from the wall to my computer tower it reads "CAT 5E"

After last years Xmas setup in TN....distance will never be an issue for LOR Network....IMO.

Had 4 networks spread out over 2 miles worth of controllers (120 PC controllers). From the PC to the first controller was the farthest run...I believe around 800ft - 1000ft. We had to add a single repeater for each network, but that was a given. This only applies to the LOR Network (RS-485). E1.31 is a completely different animal and would go with what has already been stated.

Edited by CLD Kevin