Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini Tree frame find.

75redman

I was at Wal Mart today and looking through the garden department.  I came across these plant trellises and thought they would make great mini tree frames with plenty areas to attach zip ties.

Just thought I would pass this along.  They were $6.96 each. 

post-10366-0-24139400-1396313358_thumb.j

They are 30" tall.  Base is 9" and they are black powder coated steel.  They feel a lot stronger than a tomato cage.

What's everyones opinion about the tomato cages? Was planning on using them, are they too flimsy?

I've used tomato cages since 2008 and they've held up fine.  (All except the one that got in the way of a 187 lb. Mastiff, that is.)  I use the standard-issue 32" ones from Wally World and put two together for added strength and more zip tie options.

I have looked for these on the WallyWorld web site without any luck.  I wonder if they are a stock product.. any ideas?

I have looked for these on the WallyWorld web site without any luck.  I wonder if they are a stock product.. any ideas?

Not sure.  The store I was at had 15 of them.  I bought 9 and may have to go back and get the rest.

What's everyones opinion about the tomato cages? Was planning on using them, are they too flimsy?

I use 2-cages to make one a mini tree. That way you have 6 vertical ribs to work with. I still have mine since 2008. Same Led lights too. My mini Z-Trees are made out of green heavy duty cages & I use two of them to make one mini Z-Tree. Just as long as you insert them so you end up with 6 vertical ribs then you are good to go. You get a more rounder look when you use two cages per mini tree, as well as more strength. With 6 ribs you have more places to zip tie, howbeit you do not really need all that many zip ties.

This year I am retiring my mini trees( actually I am letting someone else use them) & I am changing to artificial potted Juniper bushes. I am using Lors ccps on those 8 bushes. Like this...http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=vMKdazFWll2HoM&tbnid=LNZ5wHAZnW65YM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.earthflora.com%2FChristmas_Topiaries.htm&ei=Du86U6nGIcijsQS4joCgBA&bvm=bv.63934634,d.aWM&psig=AFQjCNFIPRjQs6yGg-89tkQd_Vl5-nP43A&ust=1396457609070514

Got them at a good price after Christmas. I had a 15 channel Pom,Pom tree last year & so I can use those Pom, Poms to make a 3-tier Ball tree like you see in the picture. Time to change things up.

Edited by lightzilla

Checked them out @ Wallmart, bought 4 of them.  Went to Lowes and found tall green coated cages @ a reasonable price.  They also have them in red and blue,

That's because it's actually called a spiral obelisk, not a trellis. I'm kind of impressed how solid they feel. I wish the base was a little bigger, but I bought 12 anyway :)

That's because it's actually called a spiral obelisk, not a trellis. I'm kind of impressed how solid they feel. I wish the base was a little bigger, but I bought 12 anyway :)

aaahhh.. THANK YOU.. very cool.  chasing down about 16 of em.. got an idea!   hee hee

B)

Thanks Jackal,  I was going to get the info off of the tag when I got home but you beat me to it. :)

aaahhh.. THANK YOU.. very cool.  chasing down about 16 of em.. got an idea!   hee hee

B)

Can't wait to see what you do with them. Glad you decided to 'stay in the game'.

Edited by TheJackal

Thanks!  We shall see how the neighbor thing goes in Dec.   LOL

I will post if I can make it work..   but for now.. ssshhhh.. its a secret.

• 1 month later...

What kind of lights look best around a tomato cage? M6 or dome lights.. Would dome lights look ok? I have more dome then anything at the moment... Thanks guys

I use the small LEDs, I think the are called 5mm, plenty bright. Started with one 70 count strand then added a second. People love them

I wound up finding 12 of them.  I have put pixels on one.. testing the effects now... So far they look pretty good. 

I picked up 4 of these today, (all they had). They said a truck comes sometime this week so maybe I can pick up 4 more. I was not going to add Minis this year but since these were found, I decided to go ahead and add them. They will be basic nodes this year. I may pick up an extra 1 or 2 and try the mini Pixels trees I had on paper earlier this year

Good find. Thanks for sharing.

• 9 months later...

If anyone is looking for these, Wal Mart is now carring them again in there stores.  I bought more of them yesterday.