Light-O-Rama Forums

What do you lose when you change the controllers to DMX?

Mike Downey

Do you still have all of the features like Shimmer?  I have read that you do and some people have said you don't.  Just trying to get solid answer on what the differences are

Yes, shimmer and twinkle work with DMX. However the big difference is how it gets accomplished. With the LOR protocol, the show computer or director sends a command the the controller that says to shimmer channel nn for the next tt seconds. With DMX the show computer has to send a level command for each flicker. Puts far more workload on your computer. From what I understand some of the "smart" DMX adapters are able to take that workload off the computer, but I've never used any DMX except E1.31 where the computer has to do the work.

The iDMX1000 has shimmer and twinkle built into the first 128 channels. And I think the smart fade also.

And I think the Sandevice ELOR also has it.

Other DMX devices do not have that ability and must send individual commands as Jim described above.

When I ran a test a couple of years ago, DMX shimmer did not look good, and was not as consistent as the LOR shimmer. The iDMX1000 can do "smart effects" (shimmer, twinkle, and fades) on 128 channels at the same time. The ELOR can do those effects on all 2048 channels at once.

The other thing you lose when switching from LOR to DMX is trigger events.

• Like 1