Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB IC/meter

sticks4legs

Would someone be able to let me know if I am correct in my thinking

Below are 10 PCS IC - Am I correct in thinking this is 1 integrated chip per 3 pixels.  Controlling them would be controlling 3 pixels at a time.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html

And these are 30 PCS IC - there is an integrated chip per pixel and they can each be controlled seperatley

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-WS2811-LED-digital-strip-60leds-m-with-30pcs-WS2811-built-in-the-5050-smd-rgb/701799_653641294.html

As you will see from my other post I am thinking LOR CCP's drilling into PEX to make arches.  However...my tinkering brain wants to make sure i understand everything before I order.  After more reading, building a controller with e6804 from sandevice seems possible.  and expandable VS having to buy another LOR CCP if I wanted to move from 2 to 4 arches.

For arches do I need to control every pixel or would every 3 work

Your logic looks correct, top one uses 3PX for 1IC, bottom link uses 1 for 1.  It depends on HOW close the lights are spaced on the strip, 30 each meter so 150 lights on each 5 meter strip is normal (this i also 150 DMX addresses) . Now days people are starting to lean towards 300 and 600 spacing for the strips, it depends on address counts vs the amount of space you want to fill vs how full you want that space to look vs how deep your pockets are!  CCP is set at the less expensive 3 to 1 spacing, but CPP FILLS each area!  Each light in the tube is bright enough and diffused to fill the space till the next IC kicks in!  More lights is not always the way to think about it, how full the tube looks is a better way to think of it.  So if you are using a clear PEX, and the lights are 30 per meter with no diffusion, then there will be a small amount of space between each pixel, some people think it looks great, others will see the space!

In the older days we used 7-8 channels in an arch, so we were dealing in FEET, now we have PIXEL level, so we deal in inches... :P

To answer your question, I do not own CCP, but believe it is at  3 to 1, diffusion and space is the key!  (PLEASE CORRECT this if is is not right!)

How many address you have to deal with (e6804 is 4 universes at 510 address per =  2040 addresses) Each arch will use 150 if they are 10IC/meter  (3 for each IC so 30*5meters=150 addresses for a 5 meter strip) so with one e6804 you can manage 13.6 arches at the full 5 meter/arch. 

The bottom link will take you to:  Each arch will use 450 if they are 30IC/meter  (3 for each IC so 90*5meters=450 addresses for a 5 meter strip) so with one e6804 you can manage 4.5 arches at the full 5 meter/arch.

Using clear or white (diffusing) PEX? (CPP is almost  between clear-white on the diffusing level, white is almost too much) Fog would be a better match, but I have never seen FOG as a color choice on the tubing. (YET)!

Each CCP can be two arches (no cuts, no work, if the arches are next to each other!).  Each strip and be as many arches as you want to make!  Most strips allow cuts to be made every IC.  Each cut will require soldering, and caps (weather proofing)! and man hours and skill to make this work!

Even though DIY sounds cheaper, sometimes it is not!  Power supply/PEX/light strips/controller/hours to build them...see how fast it adds up!  CPP is out-of-the-box ready, with controller included!  Convenience vs Price!

Edited by BruceJ

You are correct about the number of LEDs per addressable pixel. The Cosmic Color Ribbon is 3 RGB LEDs per IC whereas the the CCP and CCB are 1 RGB LED per IC.

I have three sets of CCPs that I will be using for arches in exactly the way you mention. Did some tests last year and the CCP into PEX tube looks great!

Every 3 (or quite a bit larger number than that) would work fine for your arches.

As for Cosmic Color device VS Ray Wu pixels. I bought the CCPs when they first came out 2 years ago, but other than playing around with them, have not used them. I will be putting them into arches for 2014. For Christmas 2012, I built a 12 strand pixel tree using Ray Wu pixels and an E682 to drive it. Each has their advantages and disadvantages. If you're a little bit of a geek, the greater complexity of the Ray Wu pixels is not that hard to deal with. The Cosmic Color devices are easier to work with and most people will say they are more reliable, but costs more.

The one thing that I did not see explained yet is that the first item has as you noted a total of 50 chips (this is what gets addressed). While the second item has a chip for each LED. So there is a total of 150 chips. So if you end up doing something like a matrix, you will have more resolution if you use the second item. I am using the first item for arches where resolution is not a big to do thing. But note this also. With the first item, you will only have 50 RGB or 150 channels to mess with programming. With the second item there will Be 150 RGB channels or 450 channels to program. Almost a whole universe just for the one strip. Leaves you with just 60 channels.

Appreciate all the info.  I back bouncing back and forth again, especially with the LOR spring grab sale.

I plan on using a 10' piece of PEX for each arch, if I went with the LOR CCP i would be looking at about 2.4 inch spacing, If I go with the Ray Wu strips I would be able to cut them to length....with a LOR CCR...for the money I don't think I would even consider cutting into one to shorten it.

Max- I've begun trying to learn Superstar add-on in hopes it might make sequencing easier. Plus if I head to the DMX universe using strips, as mentioned, i will be cutting them so my channel count might come down a bit.

Where my head is stuck right now is

2014 - 2 arches one CCP from LOR / or build the DMX kit

2015 - adding 2 arches - another CCP, from LOR or just 2 more strips

another controller, another cat5 cable or just wiring to the existing controller

Its like alot of the other discussions, cost vs. convenience

One huge advantage of pixels over strips is the ability to space them however you want. My 2014 pixel tree uses 2.5 inch spacing. The arches are expected to be about the same. With strips you are tied to the spacing they come in - unless you cut and splice every pixel (I did that for about 200 of the pixels inside my star a year ago and it took hours and hours).