Light-O-Rama Forums

san device

Steelers95

Your reply used the word "support" not "control", so, my reply still stands.

Edited by Ron Boyd

This year, I'm building a pixel tree using an E682, which I bought directly from San Devices, and a bunch of 5v WS2811 pixels that I ordered from Seasonal Entertainment.

I'm not to far away and built a pixel tree last year using the E682, it came out great.  I'm happy to answer any questions, or if you want to swing by and chat.  I'm currently building a spiderweb (aalloween)/fan (uipper portin - Christmas) with another E682 at the center, over the next few weeks (needs to be done, by the end of April)

Question Khawes, using E682 in LOR in network prefrences is the adapter set to none and protocol set to raw dmx?

And the ethernet connection is P.C. to sandevices (no dongle) and if you were to connect more then one San Devices

you could split the ethernet using the netgear 5 port 10/100 switch?

I'm just over the hill from you, so to speak, Reno

If I recall correctly for each universe you need to set LOR to use E1.13 and supply the ip address of the controller (I used unicast because it helped keep the light traffic off the wireless network w/o fancy routing tricks)

The connection is pure ethernet so you can plug directly into the ethernet port on your PC or into a HIB/switch and then one or more E682 into that.  I was actually 3' short in reaching my PC and and old 10/100 hub I had on hand to bridge the gap.  

I've heard that you can even run a 5v hub/switch off a dedicated power terminal on the E682 even if you run 12v pixels, which means you can continue from one board on to several others.  I've not done it though.

Question Khawes, using E682 in LOR in network prefrences is the adapter set to none and protocol set to raw dmx?

And the ethernet connection is P.C. to sandevices (no dongle) and if you were to connect more then one San Devices

you could split the ethernet using the netgear 5 port 10/100 switch?

I'm just over the hill from you, so to speak, Reno

When setting up the E682 in the Network Preferences and the DMX Tab, you will select "Use E1.31".

Now, for each Universe, if using MultiCast, select "Multicast" and the program will default to 239.255.0.1 then 239.255.0.2, 239.255.0.3, etc for each universe used.

If you select "Unicast", then you will have to manually enter the E682 IP address. The IP address will be the same for all universes on this controller. Default is 192.168.1.206. If only using 1 controller, this default IP address can be left as is, as long as it's not the same as your PC IP address. If using more than 1 E682 or E6804, I suggest changing the controller address to something like 192.168.1.101 and then 102 and 103 etc. You will need an ethernet switch if using more than 1 controller. The Netgear 5 Port 10/100 switch will be fine. Personally, I stay away from the 200s for the last 3 digits, just so I don't mistake and use the 206.

The default setting for LOR is Adapter "None" and "Raw DMX'. When selecting E1.31, you'll notice that the "Adapter" section grays out when E1.31 is selected.

I hope I made that clear as mud.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Wattage will help make up some of the loss in your cable. Ohms law. If you are using the same size wire 400 watts will go further than 350 watts. For $3 more, $23 total, I gave it a try. I have not tested my 350 watt supply to see how far it will go but it doesn't matter. I wanted to use standard size cable extensions and 50 feet is totally out of the question. And, the real reason for 400 watts, it will supply power to more strings on the sans card.

I am using 12 volts and my results are listed. I chose 12 volts because I need 65-70 feet to one of my elements. I am not getting there and will now start trying nulls and custom sized cables. It is the end of March but I have time.

Sans used in balance mode (dumb control) replaces the dongle but on the 682 it takes a half bank or 1/4 of the card. It only passes the dmx signal though. So you will still need a controller be it the 27 channel variety or any other host of dmx controllers. You can pull dmx off any one of four ports of the section you have setup and daisy off each element etc just like any other dmx controller. You will also have to supply power. I piggyback off the bank input in my testing.

ELOR is useful for anyone who does not use their computer to run their show. Other than that I have no knowledge of its use in S3 software. I can plug my sans into any network connection that is attached to my router and get control of it. And the ability to connect a network switch, including voltage supplied for that switch, and add more sans out in the yard without having to run another network cable back to your PC is a nice touch.

I didn't say that these are the best ways to use your card just that it is possible. For someone on a budget this could be used to provide pixels and RGB flood control this year as they buy components for example. It can also allow you to reduce the number of cables into the yard. If you are running LOR, dmx and e1.31 that is 3 separate network cables needed. You can reduce that to 2 by using the balanced mode. It is a nice option to have but if you already have a dc card or dongle and cables run why would you waste the ports?

Personally I will use a holiday coro dongle to run all my dumb dmx RGB lights, the LOR dc card for motors and relays, CCR for my roof line, ac controllers for the singing faces and the sans for my pixels and window pixel strips.