Light-O-Rama Forums

Building a giant lolipop

Klayfish

I've seen displays on YouTube with giant lolipops made of lights.  I'd like to make several for my display this year.  I'm thinking 4' in diameter, maybe a bit bigger if possible.  But I don't know how people make them?  I initially thought of putting the lights right onto plywood and stapling them down.  But I have a feeling there is a better way.  Get small diameter irrigation tubing and wrap lights around that and roll it up into a lolipop shape? 

Anyone here done them and have any input?

The closest thing I did about 3 years ago was I wrapped net lights around a couple of my trees and wrapped the trunk in another color. It wasn't quite a perfect sphere, but enough to tell what it was.

I've never made one, but it seems like you should be able to use the gray electrical PVC. Even 1 inch diameter PVC will bend

into a nice circle easily.

How about taking a sheet of Coro and cut a circle (2 one for front and back) cut a long section of coro for the outer perimiter (score only the inside membrain so the coro will bend easly) Same for the stick portion. i have made round pole like sections this way and they work very well (you need to put a round piece in side the tube every so often to stiffen the coro and keep it from trying to go back flat) Inside the top hot glue pieces of posterboard for deviders (center to outer corcumference) as many as the number of secitons. you want.   use led lights or better RGB modules for interior lighting.  You will have a nice glow and with smart modules, you can make the top spin and the stick chase (any color you want at any time).  Sounds hard but should be really easy. 

• Like 1