Light-O-Rama Forums

Help me get started.

NathanSmith

Hey there everyone! I am new to the Light-O-Rama forums and to be quite honest, Light-O-Rama itself! I am looking to buy a controller that has 16-32 channels on it. All I want it for is to synchronize some lights to some music for the odd parties I have, So as you might have already guessed, I do not need anything too spectacular or expensive. I don't think I will even need 16 channels but my best guess is that 16 channels on a controller is the lowest option. All I want to connect to the controller is some strobe lights, and colored lights to flash. SO, can anybody point me in the right direction to a simple, affordable controller? Also I have another question, Can I put more than just lights on the controller? When I say that I mean could I put say, a smoke machine on it? Thanks in advance for the help! 

you can get an eight channel controller; although, for not much more, you can get sixteen channels which will give you the option of doing more if you ever want to.

you can get an eight channel controller; although, for not much more, you can get sixteen channels which will give you the option of doing more if you ever want to.

how much is an eight channel controller?

There are two flavors of controllers as well. 15 amp and 30 amp types, residential and professional respectively. So whatever you are going to plug into them, you need to do your current-draw homework first. I suggest you stay away from running things that have their own controller and other special things such as strobes, unless....you are just turning them on/off. 

Now the software is setup to control the channels based on music or video that you import into the sequencer. In there, you manually tell the software how to control the channels based upon your desires, music beats or whatever. It won't do this by itself in case you think its a plug and play type setup.

There are two flavors of controllers as well. 15 amp and 30 amp types, residential and professional respectively. So whatever you are going to plug into them, you need to do your current-draw homework first. I suggest you stay away from running things that have their own controller and other special things such as strobes, unless....you are just turning them on/off. 

Now the software is setup to control the channels based on music or video that you import into the sequencer. In there, you manually tell the software how to control the channels based upon your desires, music beats or whatever. It won't do this by itself in case you think its a plug and play type setup.

that is a good chunk of info, but that didnt quite answer my question about the price of a 8 or 16 channel controller.

Welcome to the addiction!

The 16 channel controller from LOR if you buy it ready made runs $259.95.

Where you have to do a small amount of assembly it runs $225.95

I don't necessarily see a need to go with an 8 channel when that can very quickly expand.

The 16 channel controllers will be fun to work with but as stated previously, this isn't something that you plug in and it will do everything.  You will need to have the software and do some sequencing to get the lights to move to the music.  There are ones that are pre-done, however considering you said for odd parties, I don't know if Halloween, Christmas, 4th of July music is what you are looking for.  There are some songs that have been done that are not strictly Christmas or Holiday specific, so that might be of help.

If you have questions, you are in the right forums to ask!  There is no such thing as a stupid questions, so ask anything and someone will be able to hopefully answer or guide you in the right direction.

Edited by Lyman Rate

that is a good chunk of info, but that didnt quite answer my question about the price of a 8 or 16 channel controller.

From the Light-O-Rama Store.

16 Channel Residential Starter Kit - 307.80

16 Channel Pro Starter Kit - 387.80

16 Channel DIY Kit - 184.85

8 Channel "Deluxe" controller - $149.95

Need more prices? Visit http://store.lightorama.com

• Like 1

for the 8 channel controller, it looks to me like it has no housing, which is not a problem, but is that correct?

for the 8 channel controller, it looks to me like it has no housing, which is not a problem, but is that correct?

The 8 channel controller that I linked do does not come with an enclosure. Wouldn't necessarily be a problem, but personally I wouldn't run it without it housed in something.

Haven't seen this mentioned, but you will also need a software license to control the lights. Depending on how you are going to control the lights you will either need a USB485 adapter and either a mini-director or Showtime director. Look at the top of the page for "Typical Setups" to get an idea of how everything connects together. 

The 8 channel controller that I linked do does not come with an enclosure. Wouldn't necessarily be a problem, but personally I wouldn't run it without it housed in something.

Haven't seen this mentioned, but you will also need a software license to control the lights. Depending on how you are going to control the lights you will either need a USB485 adapter and either a mini-director or Showtime director. Look at the top of the page for "Typical Setups" to get an idea of how everything connects together. 

I have seen the typical set-ups before, will I have to pay for this software? or does it come free with the controller?

I have seen the typical set-ups before, will I have to pay for this software? or does it come free with the controller?

The Starter Kits that I linked to include the software, controller, USB485 and CAT5 cable.

Otherwise, you would need to pay for the software separately from your controller purchase.

The Starter Kits that I linked to include the software, controller, USB485 and CAT5 cable.

Otherwise, you would need to pay for the software separately from your controller purchase.

so for me, the 8 channel controller without the enclosure sounds like the perfect setup to get.

so for me, the 8 channel controller without the enclosure sounds like the perfect setup to get.

Or you buy the Lor plug n show setup.

Or Buy your 8 channel controller & plugs then put it into a enclosure, get a mini director unit & buy the Lor's SD cards with music/sequences on them if they will sell them outside of the "Plug n Show" kit. However if you do not buy the software  you could never make your own sequences if you go this route.

Edited by lightzilla

Or you buy the Lor plug n show setup.

Or Buy your 8 channel controller & plugs then put it into a enclosure, get a mini director unit & buy the Lor's SD cards with music/sequences on them if they will sell them outside of the "Plug n Show" kit. However if you do not buy the software  you could never make your own sequences if you go this route.

Don just told me that the 8 channel controller comes with the software.

Where did I say that?

Here I believe, unless I misinterpreted what you said. I can get a 8 Channel starter kit correct?

Here I believe, unless I misinterpreted what you said. I can get a 8 Channel starter kit correct?

Double check the links I provided. Those are all 16 channel starter kits.

As of today LOR does not sell an 8 channel starter kit. I don't know if that will change soon or not....

Nathan - Perhaps you should email Dan or Mary Baldwin directly and ask them for a price on exactly the items you want.  I'm pretty certain they'll figure out an agreeable way to make you a satisfied customer.  ;)

Edited by George Simmons

Nathan - Perhaps you should email Dan or Mary Baldwin directly and ask them for a price on exactly the items you want.  I'm pretty certain they'll figure out an agreeable way to make you a satisfied customer.  ;)

That sounds like a pretty good idea to me! Maybe I will try that tonight!