Light-O-Rama Forums

HD IP security cam setup What is best?

plasmadrive

I have been reading for hours and still can't tell what is the best for the bucks.  I read the specs and they look good, I get to the reviews and they don't look good..

I am looking for something with about 6-8 cameras for outdoor use.  I want POE if possible.  The DVR must record all channels in HD at a rate of at least 30fps, cameras must have IR good for about 50', auto iris, internet access for remote viewing.  Must be reliable and have good support.

Anyone have any positive experience they would like to pass on regarding manufacturer, model number, software gotchyas, and the like? 

I am looking in the $2k-$3k range.. or less is good if the quality is there.

Edit:  I know this subject has come up several times before but the technology is changing so fast I am looking for updated info.

Thanks!

Edited by plasmadrive

I have a couple GeoVision systems running on pc's that work well but if I had to do it all over again I would be looking for a good standalone NVR system.  Simple and easy.  Through my reading this brand was well talked about as a good NVR brand. (Dahua).  There are so many cheap systems out there it's hard to tell the good from the imitations. The price your looking at is right in there for a good system.  I would guess closer to 3K.

Let us know what you find.

I have 2 of these for general use around the office:

They are indoor/outdoor.  While they are NOT I/R, they have EXCELLENT low-light response.  The good thing about not having IR is that colors (even during the day time) are MUCH closer to true compared to cameras that are designed for IR.  They run on PoE, so it's only a single Cat-5 cable.  You should already have security lighting for after hours, so IR should not be a factor.  

You won't read license plates with it due to the general purpose wide angle lens,  however people faces are clear.  Low-Light noise is acceptable.  I don't know how well they respond to blinky-flashy lights (auto white levels).  They look like a PTZ camera, however the adjustments are only manual (not motorized).  

For the price they are a steal.  I believe there is also a 3MP version, and possibly versions with narrower lenses.

For the DVR, you can use an semi-old computer and free software.    Even if you have to buy a new computer (for around $500), it will be cheaper than a 6-8 channel DVR.

I have 2 of these for general use around the office:

They are indoor/outdoor.  While they are NOT I/R, they have EXCELLENT low-light response.  The good thing about not having IR is that colors (even during the day time) are MUCH closer to true compared to cameras that are designed for IR.  They run on PoE, so it's only a single Cat-5 cable.  You should already have security lighting for after hours, so IR should not be a factor.  

You won't read license plates with it due to the general purpose wide angle lens,  however people faces are clear.  Low-Light noise is acceptable.  I don't know how well they respond to blinky-flashy lights (auto white levels).  They look like a PTZ camera, however the adjustments are only manual (not motorized).  

For the price they are a steal.  I believe there is also a 3MP version, and possibly versions with narrower lenses.

For the DVR, you can use an semi-old computer and free software.    Even if you have to buy a new computer (for around $500), it will be cheaper than a 6-8 channel DVR.

Someone else said that same thing about using a computer instead of a DVR.  I am surprised.  I would have thought that a dedicated piece of gear would operate better then a PC.. Just seams weird.

Plasma please email me at info@hitechlights.com. I'd love to assist.

I sent ya an email.. would love for you to assist!  Thanks

I have a 8 camera setup that I purchased from Costco about 2 yrs ago. The DVR record is D1 which is Standard-Def and 30fps. CIF recording is less than that and pretty bad if you want to zoom in the video. My cameras are 720tvl and are manual adjust so I can set up to zoom from 3.6mm to 9mm. I would say they are decent. Day is clear and night not too bad. No way would I be able to zoom in a clear shot of a face at night unless they are 20ft from the camera. Day about double that. I didn't pay even close to your budget...I think about $600 for 4 camera/dvr and another $200 for 4 additional.

I def would like HD cameras. I think I'm going to eventually change out. I'll have to get all new stuff but at least I would be able to get a good face recognition.

Last year someone try to break into my work truck at night. I had a clear shot of them, but could not make out the face...bit grainy when zoomed in. He got the door open...alarm and off he ran. I think I still have the video.

Edited by CLD Kevin

Thanks Kevin.  Good to know..  I really think the HD is important for just that reason..

I have a similiar 720p/1080p system, 4 cameras from QSee; had it almost a year now; love it no problems; easy to set up on my Iphone

Has 4 cameras and a NVR

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/qsee-4x4-secrty-sys/prod11570578.ip?navAction=

The physical appearance of this QSee model looks like these Dahua models.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dahua-NVR3108-P-8-Channel-Smart-1U-4PoE-Network-Video-Recorder-/271419378653?pt=US_Surveillance_Security_Systems&hash=item3f31db0bdd

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/nvr3104-p3108-p3116-p-298.html

FWIW:

We have a system at our home that monitors all of the entrances to the house. At Christmas time, I add a few cameras to keep an eye on the display.

The cameras are from Toshiba. I have IK-WB21a's (the ones in the domes which can pan,tilt,zoom) and IK-WB80a's (fixed view but infrared at night) The PTZ cameras are not PoE but the IK-WB80a's are!

They are IP (internet protocol) cameras that feed their signal through my home Cat5 network, to a central computer in our basement, that is dedicated to running and recording the data. They are set to be motion sensitive so they only record when they detect motion.

With any system, the difficult part is getting the necessary cables from the recorder to the cameras. By using "IP" cameras, I was able to take advantage of the existing Cat5 cabling in the house and could put  the "System" computer anywhere that there was a Cat5 outlet. Other types of systems require a cable to run from each camera directly to the recorder, so installation can be a different challenge. There are some wireless options for my system and others, but I have no experience with them.

The software that I use is from Toshiba. The software is free, but you need a license for each camera (not free,  $100 per camera). Once the system is set up, the cameras can be seen from any computer in the house, or from our iphones and laptops if we are away from home.

I'm a bit of a geek (surprise surprise) so I enjoyed the challenge. The tech support people were extremely helpful and are US based!

This is not an inexpensive endeavor, but for me, the quality it worth it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck,

Tony

I've got one of these at a vacation home.  It works great in the day, but I have it mounted in a window facing out and when the IR lights come on it just reflects back.  Unfortunately they are not out door rated.  They can be setup to detect motion and, you can purchase remote recording on a monthly basis.  

I may mount this under the eves 2 stories up eventually, and see how it fares with ambient moisture.  

Funny you should mention that location. Mine would have to be under the second story eves.

Important to have good optics me thinks

Funny you should mention that location. Mine would have to be under the second story eves.

Important to have good optics me thinks

Mine are under the second story eves. Problem with that is most "standard" camera are 3.6mm. You will have a great wide view, but everything in the ground is too far for details...like a face. Also I have 3 camera in the front. Due to the wide view, the right camera would cross over the view area of my left camera. The middle camera was really useless. So I change out my cameras for adjustable so I can manually zoom in to the setting I wanted. Now all 3 cameras view area are tighter and cleaner details. Having the cameras on on the first story would be a better option...you could keep the wide view and still get the details of the ground area because it's closer, but that wasn't an option for me.

Another thing discovered while setting up is I found it better to have right camera faces left at a 45 degree and the left camera face right. This way they cross each other. It was a better angle view wise. I could see in front of my house and up and down the street. One situation help identify vehicle license plate. If they were facing straight out, I would never been able to read the plate.

Although cross over views is not a bad thing Kevin. Thus if someone tries to mess with and disable a camera. They will be viewed and recorded on the other camera. Cross fire is a wonderful thing.

• The topic was locked