Light-O-Rama Forums

WS2812B RGB strips

bobschm

Anyone have first hand experience with these newer strips? They are basically 2811 with the LEDs and the chip in the same package so led density is higher ( more lights per meter). Ray Wu is selling quite a few now.

Myth or Fact: They are more forgiving of under voltage conditions. Chips have been reported to operate as low as 3.9 volts. That would translate to fewer power injections if it's true.

Are they able to handle data distances better with fewer null pixels needed? Are they brighter?

I used them for the Plasma Icicles.  The chips operating at the lower voltage is not really something I tested because the color temperature of the LED was not very good at low voltage. However, if I remember correctly, with all on to make white a 5m strip had about 3.8v-4.1v at the end.  While testing I was able to run about 50 pixels with 5vdc right at the input and still maintain a good white.  Just because of how the math worked out for pixel and universes on the Plasma Icicles I wound up center feeding two sets of 30 pixels from each DC-DC converter.  

As for distance and brighter.......Myth in my opinion. 

The 2812B is literally a 2811 in the LED package.

This is why I bought all those 24v waterproof supplies for the DIY guys... I knew converters are in many people's future.. 

Thanks for the reply. Think I'll go with 2812 then. I like the pixels being closer together. Ordered 12v dc convertors and based on your advice, I'll be testing 100% before I deploy them! We'll see how they work out.

Should be another fun year!

12v converters?  You mean 12v in 5v out right?

I used 24v to 5v converters so I could run more off the same supply with smaller wire and longer runs..  I ran about 100' of #14 wire from a 24vdc 240watt supply and tapped off with a DC-DC converter for every injection point.  I ran about 5 universes of 150 pixels from one supply and 3 universes from the second supply.  All ran flawlessly for the season and I had great color temperature throughout all the Plasma Icicles.  The whites were very nice and crisp cool white. 

The 24v supply I used is capable of 10 amps or 240 watts.  That means the #14 wire was protected from over current according to NEC.  If you ran the same amount of power at 12v that would be 20 amps and "technically" you would need to run #12 wire to be protected. At the end of the wire your voltage drop would also be twice as much given the same current. (may not be an issue either way) Just numbers to think about.

The chips themselves only like 5v of course.

**My supplies are also UL recognized so I know they were tested and the protection works correctly.  Since I ran exposed wire under my eves, and they are wood... I didn't take any chances with none UL supplies.  For the front lawn I would perhaps not have as much of an issue, but on my house with exposed wood, I made sure of the supply listing.

Let us know how yours works out.. should be fun!

Now I'm confused. I ordered 24 to 12 volt convertors since I plan to use 12 volt strips based on this thread:

5v vs. 12v question

In The Coffee Shop

Posted on Feb 01 2014 01:54 PM by Max-Paul

I'll post a link when I know the convertors work! Ordering from China can be a crap shoot.

Now I'm confused. I ordered 24 to 12 volt convertors since I plan to use 12 volt strips based on this thread:

5v vs. 12v question

In The Coffee Shop

Posted on Feb 01 2014 01:54 PM by Max-Paul

I'll post a link when I know the convertors work! Ordering from China can be a crap shoot.

The confusion may be mine.  I thought you were using 5v strips.  Do you have a link to the actual strips you ordered?   If you ordered 12v strips I assume the 3 pixel resolution is ok for your application..

So far I've only ordered the convertors. I have a 24 volt 350 watt supply I can use. Do you have a recommendation for strips? I'm still shopping for those. What works best for icicles? I plan to make them all one length and "icicle" them in software when they're not being used as an X x Y matrix.

I don't have any recommendations for 12v strips, no.. sorry. 

I used Ray's 5v WS2812B, 30 pixels per meter, flex strips with silicon sleeve protection. 

I probably should have started with the strips. <_<

Can't find any waterproof 30 pixel/m ws2812B strips in 12 volt. I may have to use 5 volt strips. In which case, I'll have some 12v convertors to sell and be in the market for 5 volt drops.

You call this hobby fun?! :blink:

I probably should have started with the strips. <_<

Can't find any waterproof 30 pixel/m ws2812B strips in 12 volt. I may have to use 5 volt strips. In which case, I'll have some 12v convertors to sell and be in the market for 5 volt drops.

You call this hobby fun?! :blink:

LOL!  I feel your pain..

• 1 month later...

The rise of popularity is mostly due to cheap availability of WS2812B strips and the like. You can control 100's of LEDs with just 3 wires, so it's really simple wiring. If you put more than a few dozen LEDs you'll need a power supply, the ones my team uses are the 7A 5V buck converters. Programming the LEDs is usually done with an Arduino or clone. You can drive the WS2812 strips using Adafruit's neopixel library from just about any arduino, or if you're using a Teensy 3.X, you can drive up to 4000 LEDs with the OctoWS2811 library.