Light-O-Rama Forums

Website building help/advice

Al Saunders

I everyone, I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on software (preferably free) that would help me create my website. I have web hosting, a domain name (www.saunderschristmaslights.com), and a working email from the site. Last November I got some help from the service provider who happens to be a friend of mine and just posted a webpage to have something there. Now I want to build a real website. I have seen several ones from others on this forum and they look really cool and really hard to do. First some ground work about me. I am NOT a computer guru in that I am not in the IT field at all. I am a marine insurance underwriter. So even though I am using a computer all day I am just more or less data entry type of use. I am computer literate though and can navigate around my laptop just fine. But when it comes to making a website and getting the files/pages from my computer to the server I'm really nervous about it.  

I was going to try and learn HTML, yeah dosed off on page 32 of a 350 page PDF of website building for dummies. :D I did find a 2 part document on making a website and it refers to and uses Kompozer download. Anyone use this? My friend who set me up  in November is willing to help when he gets a chance but is very busy and hasn't done any website creating in several years. Any tips on getting cool graphics like the Santa and Christmas light bulbs I see on other sites?  I welcome all input.

Thanks,

Al

You should start with wordpress. Most hosting services have a control panel where you can install it on your domain. If not, you can download it free and install it yourself following their step by step directions.

It is a modular system where you can easily manage content without having a lot of HTML experience. In addition, there are tons of ready to go themes available, which are easily installed and activated.

Kompozer, I believe, is a Linux program, but it's more for page authoring. I would use wordpress and call it done.

With regards to graphics, I would suggest using some of these sites that offer vector images rather than trying to create something from scratch.

I second wordpress

Blogger is also pretty easy to use, but can be a little tricky if you already own the domain.   It's also possible to use a redirect (someone goes to www.saunderschristmaslights.com and it will actually take them to your blogger page (no real content is housed on your domain in this scenario).

I know a lot about software but I never learned HTML coding. I did recently create two websites. One for our property owners association and another for the Corvette Club I'm a member of. In both of those case, I used www.homestead.com. For the Corvette Club, we already had hosting and domain registration done through register4less.com and just a plain text site. I used Homestead and their very easy site builder and had a new site up and running in a day. Their cost is $4.99/mo. for it. Using them for the property owners association site, we were registering the domain and site hosting with homestead along with the use of their editor. The cost is $10.99/mo. I've seen that prices for these things seem to change a lot so shop around but If you wish a site that is up and running quickly and looks good, homestead works very nice.

As mentioned in PM to you, Al, I'm a fan of Joomla. All of my sites are created with Joomla. Themes are from RocketTheme.com.

Joomla is a good solution as well, but I do find wordpress is a bit more "user friendly."

As others mentioned, there are options that would reduce the learning curve quite a bit by using a pre-developed system that you subscribe to. Or, redirect your domain to a free blogger site.

But, if you want a bit more flexibility, wordpress or joomla are both great choices.

Thanks for the input everyone. Don I got your PM and will check out joomla. I forgot to mention my domain came with a website builder called Trendy and I'm pretty sure I used it to set up my email for the site but when I started on Trendy for site building I didn't like any of the templates it had. All seemed business related or just not what I wanted at all. Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend to check out joomla and wordpress. Have a great weekend everyone.

Later,

Al 

• The topic was locked