Light-O-Rama Forums

Finally in year three!

rainyoregonchristmas

Just came back from the local newspaper following an interview.  I'm in to my third year of animated lighting and this is the first time I've been questioned by any press outlet.  Kinda fun! 

They had a lot of questions about my Kickstarter project for the Rainy Banding Clips.  Seems they keep tabs on the projects in town. I spent a lot of time explaining animated lighting.  And a fair amount of time explaining the clips and why they are needed.   We'll see how it goes.  I'd love to share the article with you all when it comes out, BUT they've switched to an online subscription.  Means you'll only be able to read a short synopsis.  It is due out on March 5th.

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

Now if I can get them to come back in December when the lights are actually up and ON! 

You know Matt, just as a personal opinion, I really don't see why this thing never got rolling. It's one of the best things I've seen for these type of applications. It's a shame, with the amount of money we spend on our shows and the time and effort it takes to put the elements together, I would think folks would be jumping at a chance to reduce the build time in half. I know I would. That's why I pledged my money. I really wanted a better way to get these pixels on the strapping or rope (Paracord).

When I started building my Pixel tree last year, it became evident that there had to be a better way. Putting 2 zipties or 3 tape wraps x 2 on each pixel is back-breaking and really hard on the muscles of the hand. I don't have the problems your dad does, I can only imagine the pain he had, I know the pain I did.

I understand that most want to see something tried and true, but sometimes you have to take a chance.

I do hope you can get this thing rolling through the other folks you have contacted. I really would like to see these things hit the market. I was planning on re-doing my 800 pixel tree and i still have to build the 600 pixel tree in addition this year. Hopefully I don't have to use zipties on those 1400 pixels

Good luck and keep us informed.

Thanks for your hard work on these items.

Ron

Edited by Ron Boyd

Ron, I hope you don't take offense at this, but there's an old saying, "You're doing it wrong" that really fits here. ;)

Google the web for a Panduit GTS Zip tie gun.   These things are made for workers assembling commercial aircraft where they do countless zip ties.  Once you get one of these you will kick yourself for every zip tie you ever put on any other way.  These cinch the tie up and cut off the remaining strap all with a trigger pull action.   I have run thousands of zip ties through one of these and it's still going strong.  They typically sell for $30 to $40 on Ebay (used) instead of the $350 they cost originally.   This is why no one is trying to re-invent the wheel, because this wheel works damn well.

Here's an example of one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PANDUIT-TIE-WRAP-TENSION-GUN-ZIP-TIE-GTS-AIRCRAFT-350-AIRCRAFT-TOOL-/181341397446

When I started building my Pixel tree last year, it became evident that there had to be a better way. Putting 2 zipties or 3 tape wraps x 2 on each pixel is back-breaking and really hard on the muscles of the hand. I don't have the problems your dad does, I can only imagine the pain he had, I know the pain I did.

Ron, I hope you don't take offense at this, but there's an old saying, "You're doing it wrong" that really fits here. ;)

Google the web for a Panduit GTS Zip tie gun.   These things are made for workers assembling commercial aircraft where they do countless zip ties.  Once you get one of these you will kick yourself for every zip tie you ever put on any other way.  These cinch the tie up and cut off the remaining strap all with a trigger pull action.   I have run thousands of zip ties through one of these and it's still going strong.  They typically sell for $30 to $40 on Ebay (used) instead of the $350 they cost originally.   This is why no one is trying to re-invent the wheel, because this wheel works damn well.

Here's an example of one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PANDUIT-TIE-WRAP-TENSION-GUN-ZIP-TIE-GTS-AIRCRAFT-350-AIRCRAFT-TOOL-/181341397446

No offense at all. Agreed it's a good tool, I have been through 2 of them in the last 3 years and on my 3rd one now.

No offense at all. Agreed it's a good tool, I have been through 2 of them in the last 3 years and on my 3rd one now.

3x$45=$135.00 in 3 years? Thats a lot of Pixel Clips @ $.15ea  and probably half the labor involved !

• The topic was locked