Light-O-Rama Forums

Copyrights....,again?!

bobschm

Anyone know the copyright law regarding parodies? What happens if I rewrite the words to a famous song? Do I need permission to publish it? Does Weird Al Yamkovich have to pay the original author?

Not a lawyer but my first reaction is yes.... the music is copyrighted... not just the lyrics.  If you're using the music I don't think it matters whether you publish it without words or with new words, you're still violating copyright. 

There was a whole thing about Vanilla Ice using the beginning of Pressure by Queen. If I remember correctly, because Ice added 1 note, it was considered a different song. So, my gut feeling would be....if you plan on publishing the song, yes..you need the artists permission. I would get it in writing.

As for Al Yankovic, he speaks with the artist directly after a misunderstanding with Coolio's label. Al ended up paying Coolio. I imagine he gets everything in writing. Whether he pays them, you would have to ask him.

It didn't work out well for Vanilla Ice at first.

Queen sued and won.

As part of the settlement Vanilla Ice bought the rights to the song for lots and lots of money.

As a result, he now gets royalties for both songs. Can you say SCORE? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

He was on O&A talking about how much money he is receiving.

It didn't work out well for Vanilla Ice at first.

Queen sued and won.

As part of the settlement Vanilla Ice bought the rights to the song for lots and lots of money.

As a result, he now gets royalties for both songs. Can you say SCORE? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

He was on O&A talking about how much money he is receiving.

And I thought all his money came from his HGTV show.

• The topic was locked