Light-O-Rama Forums

How To Build My RGB Pixel Tree

ryebred

I have gotten a number of requests for information on how to build my RGB pixel tree so I have put together a pdf document that lists all of the parts I used and how to assemble them all together. The entire 1,200 pixel tree was built for around $1,000 which includes everything you need; lights, controller, power supplies, tree structure, etc.

http://www.winterholidayhouse.com/docs/RGBPixelTree-HowTo.pdf

Thank-you.

I guess it is best to keep the strands in multiples of 4 ? Which is what most music is based on.

I guess I may go to 28 instead of 30 !!

Dave

For another alternative to the pixels mentioned, I had a little over 1400 of these this passed year: 

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/WS2811-LED-pixel-node-DC5V-input-full-color-RGB-string-50pcs-a-string-IP68-rated-in/677496152.html

and had only 2 failures. They are the same voltage and chip, but have all black wires. They are $1 more per string.  I did how-ever order from DIYLEDExpress this year for the second pixel tree I'm adding this year.

Nice write-up/How-to. Thanks for posting.

What software did you use to sequence?

I used a combination of LOR, Xlights, and Superstar to sequence. Superstar produces some really great stuff but requires the most money and time expense to learn. Xlights is free and easy to generate some nice effects quickly but you lose some granular control on timings like you would have with Superstar.

Thought I recognized some xLights effects in there.  It would be nice if the effects found in xLights were all ported over to SS.

I think SS is best with musical timing, and bigger picture (whole house) morphs.  But other free tools have some pretty cool effects.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Just thought I would let people know that there was an update to my RGB Pixel Tree How-To document. One of the errors in the original was that I was claiming my center pole was 18 feet long and my pixel string poles were also 18 feet long. This was incorrect as the center pole needs to be shorter than the pixel string poles so that they angle outward like a tree. My center pole is actually 16 feet long and consists of one ten foot conduit plus another conduit cut down to 6 feet. I was correct in saying that the pixel string poles are 18 feet long.

LOL!!!Thanks for that Update...I'm about 4 days away from buying the center pole. I just recieved my Pole stand and Pole Pin from CLS. Wrapped 4 EMT pipes with the pixels  and should be done with the rest this weekend... thanks for all the info, for me this was the easiest set up. In fact I'm doing it twice. Once for the Pixel tree and the other for my CCR Tree...  

Thanks again Ryan...

I agree with the simplicity and the detail that was put into ryebred's document.  I have mine completed and tested and now working on the sequencing - a challenging area for me in any case.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for posting the directions.  I just finished building the tree portion and am using CCRs.  Good directions and the I like the finished product.   

I also ordered the same pixels as Ron Boyd and only had 1 failure out of 1200. The injection molded in the how to are notorious for failing. The different plastic on the wire and the injection molding expand and contract differently allow water to seep between the two and cause failures.

• The topic was locked