Light-O-Rama Forums

How to hold down coro stars on the roof

Kent Stutzman

Hello,

I could use some suggestions for how to keep coro stars in place on the roof.  I have a 5 X 5 matrix of stars.  As you can see form the attached photo, I have a bit of a wind issue.  My wife doesn't want me using bricks in case one comes sailing off the roof with the star and hits someone in the head.  I tried using sandbags but that clearly wasn't the perfect solution.  I don't want to punch holes in the roof.  I am not opposed to screws in the fascia board on each side and running a cable through each, but I don't think that will keep them from shifting some (though it would be an improvement over what I have now).  I have 4 RGB pixels poking up from the bottom of each star, with the wiring in the base.  I thought of pouring cement in the base but don't want to cover the wires.  I could pour cement in the star itself with protectors around the pixels, but there must be a more elegant solution.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Kent

Maybe lay netting over the display. Tie rope or nylon twine to the netting and attache the twine or rope to the fascia boards.

you could lay say plastic fencing down and attach the stars to it and then attach the fencing (netting) like indi said

I think I would go with the plastic fencing. I would not tiewrap the bottom of the stars together so the black part would lay as flat as possible on the netting and the holes would already be punched to attach it to the fencing.

Everyone has good ideas ...

I have to agree with your wife about the bricks ...

Reference: Our Merry Christmas sign I built for the roof ... in 2012.. on Christmas we had a 75MPH wind gust that took my 30' sign off the roof and put it in the yard ..

It was a movie "Clue" moment... I stepped outside and looked up on the roof .. all was well.. I just stepped under the porch when BAM !!! the wind gust hit and 30' of wood frame sign and about 16 20Lb blocks came flying off the roof ..

It scared Sandra so bad that she decreed right then and there "NO ROOF DISPLAYS!!!"

You can see pics of the old sign and the new one on our web site...

I like the snow fence (plastic fence... etc idea...) it gives you a lightweight anchor that you can secure your display elements to without tearing up the roof or putting family and friends in danger...

Bob

I think I would go with the plastic fencing. I would not tiewrap the bottom of the stars together so the black part would lay as flat as possible on the netting and the holes would already be punched to attach it to the fencing.

Thanks everyone.  I like the plastic fencing idea.  I hadn't thought of that.  It is also a good idea to flatten out the black base to reduce wind resistance and provide holes for attaching stars to the net.  Is something like this what you had in mind?  

6d4d084f-e3ca-4201-858a-61bf7582f8a6_100

Kent

I use bird netting from Lowes. It looks kinda like the picture above, but a lot lighter gauge. I bought it to put over my water pond in the fall to help keep the leaves out.  As I said, I would put it over the stars as the wind would put a lot of pressure on the zip tied star bases. IMO. Either way you go, good luck. It's trial and error.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an asphalt shingle roof and I dont mind putting holes in my roof.  I bolt EVERYTHING down and use silicone in the hole and over the bolt after its in.  In the case of my holdman star, I leave the mounts on the roof all year long.

In Texas I get alot of wind. Now I don't have a problem on my roof, but I have problems with the snowflakes on the front of the house beating themselves to death against the stone face of the house. I cross cross the face of the house with a few runs of twine (which happens to match the color of the stone pretty good) and it does a good job of keeping things in place.