Light-O-Rama Forums

Trains....

kiplorenzo

Has anyone done or thought of adding a real train set of some sort to the display? (not meaning the smaller engines that a human can sit upon)

I am looking into this but I am not decided and do have a lot of ground...I was thinking in the G Scale.

Many members have added "G Scale" trains to their display with good success. 

Quick thoughts on the subject-

Keep away(as in run away) from steel track. Usually provided with Bachmann Xmas sets.  It's strictly indoors stuff and marginal at that.

Brass, Nickle, or Stainless Steel track is the way to go.  Brass is lowest price and it goes up from there.  Stay with one brand to avoid connection issues.

Most G Scale train engines do not like small turn radius'.  2.5 to 3ft radius is min for smaller engines.  Larger ones may take 4-6+ft radius.  Most rolling stock (flat cars, passenger cars, etc.) have no issues with tight turns as they usually have swiveling trucks.

Keep in mind the issue of couplers.  Not all are compatible. I stick to the LGB type, also referred to 'hook and loop".  I find they are very reliable for outdoor use.

There will be many designs/models of engines/ cars out there.  It will serve you well to stick to brand names.  Suggest you avoid eBay. Buy what you can see and touch before shelling out the $$.  You will quickly see the difference in 'toy trains' and 'model trains'. 

Do a search of model train shows in your area and find a couple hobby stores that stock G Scale trains.  Take a good look and then ask a whole bunch of questions.

Best of LUCK!!

Thank you for the input... I'll check things out and look at this a little slower than the rest of the display.

I do run a G-Scale train... outdoors.. under our MegaTree..

This has been a 4 year trial and error process and a rather expensive one a that.

We started building a suspended track system that ran uder our porch.

REALLY great idea .. REALLY bad execution ..

1st mistake (as Jim brought up) I used Bachmann steel track. You could stare it and actually watch it rust outside.. It was bought and used because I needed close to 100' of track to make the porch run .. You can see the old set up on our website..

2nd mistate... I used a Bachmann "Annie" loco. It is cheap cheap cheap .. AND its a little to big to make the 4' radius turns.. Yes, I know thats what the it comes with .. but trust me (and ask JimH) its "iffy" at best ..

I ran this set up for two years until one night the "Annie" took a 6' nose dive off the platform .. on a straght .. just decided to jump track .. Now ..I sent the train to Bachman for repair... they sent me a new loco.. no charge .. (wow.. that was nice...)

So year 3, I decided to retire the suspended train idea .. (to bad .. it was REALLY cool) and buy enough brass track to make a circle under the mega-tree.. new base for the Mega-Tree (hay ring turned upside down actually)... and we were in business... sort of .. Still running the cr@ppy old Bachman "Annie" and even on good track .. it was still a miserable failure ...

Year 4 - FINALLY !!! .. I really became friends with JimH .. and he pointed me to a new loco .. I now have an LGB loco and powered tender .. THIS ran like a JEWEL ... all season long .. never derailed, never stopped, never squealed, squeeked... it just ran .. night after night ...

So as you can see .. it was long journey .. but the response .. worth it ..

Bob

Edited by bob_moody

• 4 weeks later...

I do run a G-Scale train... outdoors.. under our MegaTree..

This has been a 4 year trial and error process and a rather expensive one a that.

We started building a suspended track system that ran uder our porch.

REALLY great idea .. REALLY bad execution ..

1st mistake (as Jim brought up) I used Bachmann steel track. You could stare it and actually watch it rust outside.. It was bought and used because I needed close to 100' of track to make the porch run .. You can see the old set up on our website..

2nd mistate... I used a Bachmann "Annie" loco. It is cheap cheap cheap .. AND its a little to big to make the 4' radius turns.. Yes, I know thats what the it comes with .. but trust me (and ask JimH) its "iffy" at best ..

I ran this set up for two years until one night the "Annie" took a 6' nose dive off the platform .. on a straght .. just decided to jump track .. Now ..I sent the train to Bachman for repair... they sent me a new loco.. no charge .. (wow.. that was nice...)

So year 3, I decided to retire the suspended train idea .. (to bad .. it was REALLY cool) and buy enough brass track to make a circle under the mega-tree.. new base for the Mega-Tree (hay ring turned upside down actually)... and we were in business... sort of .. Still running the cr@ppy old Bachman "Annie" and even on good track .. it was still a miserable failure ...

Year 4 - FINALLY !!! .. I really became friends with JimH .. and he pointed me to a new loco .. I now have an LGB loco and powered tender .. THIS ran like a JEWEL ... all season long .. never derailed, never stopped, never squealed, squeeked... it just ran .. night after night ...

So as you can see .. it was long journey .. but the response .. worth it ..

Bob

Can you send me a link to the photo or video of the train? I am curious.

thanks

• 1 month later...

There's one other person near me using LOR. I talked to him when he was setting up his 2012 display. He owns a large train system which is much larger than "G". No clue what the gauge is. He said he was using it for a year or two but it kept speeding up on the slight downhill run and would come off the tracks, so he stopped using it. lol, he offered to sell it too me on the spot but I doubt I could have afforded it so I didn't ask. From older videos on youtube where you do see it going by, its pretty large. I would guess about two feet tall on top of the tracks.

Most of the 'serious' G-guage modelers use self-contained battery sets to run their trains.  I haven't noticed if anyone

has interfaced their trains with a LOR network but if you just want your train to run around a circle of track, its pretty

easy to mount a battery in a boxcar or baggage car and wire it direct to the locomotive, possibly through a switch

or rheostat to control the speed.  Then just turn it on and watch it go.  No problems with dirty track and wheel pick-up

problems.