Light-O-Rama Forums

Snow

christmasguy

HI i was just wondering what to do i have two mega trees and there about 15 ft tall and i live in Wisconsin and we got about 2.5ft of snow total so my mega trees are only 12.5 ft tall because the lights are staked into the ground. any ideas what to do?  

Where abouts are you located?  I'm in Madison area.  I try to have my lights about 6" off the ground to help compensate for snow cover and rabbits.

Edited by scubado

What type of pole/base do you have on your trees currently?   I plan on putting a pipe in the ground this summer and cap it off just below the grass.  Then when I am ready I will remove the cap and insert the center pole from the tree into the pipe in the ground for strength and to avoid using any guide wires.   So I will be adding extra length to the center pole for what goes into the ground plus the height that I want to keep the lights off the ground.  A hoop at the bottom, attached to the center pole to wrap the lights at the bottom.  When it comes to take it down I just need to pull up on the center pipe and not worry about the snow or frozen ground.

I ran into a similar winter problem. My mega tree froze to the ground so now I'm trying to figure out how to melt it so I can take it down without risk to it. As I made my frame out of treated 2x4 next year I will have an extra 2x4 screwed to the bottom of the frame so when it's takedown time I can just unscrew the sacrificial 2x4 and leave it frozen to the ground if need be....

If you leave enough slack in your cables at the bottom going to the controller you could have holes in the center pole and when you lift it up to a new height, insert a pin to set the tree a new height above the snow quickly.  That way it's not just sticking way out of the ground if there was no snow.

I'm from the Manitowoc area in Wisconsin I had my mega tree missing some bottom I plan on building a base for mine for next Christmas bought two feet off the ground.  

I'm also from Wisconsin and a majority of my display is on stilts made with 1/2" EMT.  Most elements are at least 18" from the grass (including leaping arches) , yes they look stupid in the daytime but then again who has lights on during the day?  This year I still had to dig out a lot of the smaller elements like mini trees - but remember a leaf blower is your friend! 

I also from WI. , I ran rebar into the ground in 4 points to support pex at 3' height then ran the strings down to it . ( my flag plole is the center of my mega tree) .