Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Test Sequence Show Anouncer Sequence

Guest guest

Hi all,

I was down at my ride looking and measuring areas for more lights. Planning where to put the boxes and the computer. Started thinking about when it's time to spool up the display. Then I got to thinking. Each time the system gets spooled up, it needs to have a functional check done to make sure all strands work. Am I right or is that going over board? I mean people do go outside each and every time to check this don't they. Making sure each channel operates?

I haven't heard of this idea and maybe it's already out there. But this is what I visioned.

An LOR Show Tester: A test that is an added sequence with lights and sound. Something like this:

A voice starts out, "Tom's Christmas Light Show Functional Check."

Then going thru all the channels, one by one.

Audio voice, "Channel 1". Then the lights for channel 1 come on for about 10 seconds or so (maybe even shorter time) to give me time to check all the strands.

Audio voice, "Channel 2", the same thing and so on thru all the channels.

Or do people just stand out there and look at their lights while the first song is playing and try to catch every single strand to make sure it works and wait untill all channels have been played. Oops, missed that channel, I'll have to wait till the next time, oops I don't think that one came on but I'm not sure......

Another idea, Show Anouncer. Something like this.

Audio voice (strong deep voice), "Tom's Christmas light display starts in 30 minutes." and then counts it down in 5 minute increments. Then at the start. "Welcome to Tom's Christmas Light Show. We hope you enjoy the show and........" (all is sequenced to lights while the audio is going for a short demo. This would give folks who maybe stand by a good idea of how long the show will start.

Now I know that may sound silly for some, but others might like the professionalizm in it? Being my show would be part of my business, it might be kinda neat and look professional. At major shows this is done.

If it hasn't been done, I think I might create one of each just to see how it does. And I'm just talking the start of each day before the real show begins.

Just another thought (and maybe over kill) but remember, I've got the bug too.

Tom

Hi all. ( Newbie here. Eagerly awaiting April... )

Tom,

I think the idea of a test sequence is great. I'd like to be able to use the external input to accept some sort of remote control to step through the channels.

I also think the original THX demo audio really NEEDS to be used. Just as a test you understand... :P

Todd

I think if you stood out in the middle of the yard with a clip board and one of them headset mic things would look real cool too , so every time the voice came on you could say "check" and scribble something on the clipboard :laughing:

Houston we have a go for launch ..5...4....3....2.....1.......

RayNMesa wrote:

I think if you stood out in the middle of the yard with a clip board and one of them headset mic things would look real cool too , so every time the voice came on you could say "check" and scribble something on the clipboard :laughing:

Houston we have a go for launch ..5...4....3....2.....1.......

I don't get it:?. I'm in Oklahoma, not Houston :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:.

But what color of clip board?:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thanks Ray but the location doesn't have a yard.:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I have a 'suite' of test sequences that I use to test everything out when first deploying the display each year. Mine are just animation sequences, no audio.

For example, I have one that will 'spin' each color of the mega tree slowly (which is great for determining if there's a strand or portion of a strand out, and connected in the right order) and then fade between the 3 colors, then repeat. I have another that cycles through all my mini trees in order (to make sure they're all hooked up properly) and then cycles between the two colors (red and green), then repeats. Others test each other element of the display.

I have a place I can connect my laptop outside to run these tests. Once everything passes, I hook the display up to the indoor computer and hopefully don't need to worry about running tests again until the next year.

I like having a set of small test fiiles rather than one 'master' one, since that way I can concentrate on each element individually.

-Tim

tfischer wrote:

I have a 'suite' of test sequences that I use to test everything out when first deploying the display each year. Mine are just animation sequences, no audio.

For example, I have one that will 'spin' each color of the mega tree slowly (which is great for determining if there's a strand or portion of a strand out, and connected in the right order) and then fade between the 3 colors, then repeat. I have another that cycles through all my mini trees in order (to make sure they're all hooked up properly) and then cycles between the two colors (red and green), then repeats. Others test each other element of the display.

I have a place I can connect my laptop outside to run these tests. Once everything passes, I hook the display up to the indoor computer and hopefully don't need to worry about running tests again until the next year.

I like having a set of small test fiiles rather than one 'master' one, since that way I can concentrate on each element individually.

-Tim

Now that's what I was talking about. Thanks Tim and it sounds like it is pretty helpful to insure the lights are hooked up right.

And (referring to the earlier post) you don't even live in Houston with a clip board :laughing:).

Thanks again Tim. I'm going to start with something like that.

Tom

I did the same as Tim wrote ... different sequences to test particular display elements. Once the display is setup and confirmed, they are aren't needed again.

I have a second set of tests which run each morning at 7:10 for about 10 minutes - I walk around with my cup of coffee and replace any bulbs which are out (and no GFCIs tripped) and such..

Thanks Rick,

Sounds like a good habit to have. Checking strings, bulbs, gfi, etc.... After all, you put so much into have a great looking show, keeping it in check all season long is another important step.

Thanks for your input.

Tom

Rick Hughes wrote:

I have a second set of tests which run each morning at 7:10 for about 10 minutes - I walk around with my cup of coffee and replace any bulbs which are out (and no GFCIs tripped) and such..

For that, I just try to watch the display a little each evening. I make note of things that need maintenance, and work on them after the show is out (usually turning on the circuits via the hardware utility). I try not to do maintenance while the show is running, unless something major goes wrong.

-Tim

I use the hardware utility before each show to test all channels. I will turn board #1 "no" look to see if all the lights are on, then I will "twinkle" the lights just to make sure the boards vs channels are getting the signals. I do this to each board which takes about 5 minutes each night. If everything passes my inspection, then the show is ready.