Light-O-Rama Forums

E1.31 & RJ45 pinout

066.0gto

Then the standard must have gone obsolete after the birth of the 8P8C connector. Hence why so many of us old farts still refer to it as a RJ-45 plug or socket.  So going to take a shot at it. Would the standard RJ-11 now be known as a 4P4C? If so, then I think I understand the logic they are using.

The RJ standards refer to the pinout, For instance the RJ11 standard uses a 6P2C (6-position, 2-conductor) connector, and specifies that pins 3 and 4 are the telephone line. RJ14 uses a 6P4C connector, and specifies in addition that the 2nd phone line uses pins 2 and 5 (but in opposite polarity from line 1). RJ25 uses a 6P6C connector, and is for 3 lines.

I don't know if the RJ45 standard actually ever existed, because I can't find any information about it, other than a statement that "RJ45" is the informal designation for T568A/B.

Edited by Steven

And if you are chasing historical footnotes,the RJ standards specify both connector and pin out. For example. RJ11 specifies household phone jacks. But there are other RJ standards for the same connector, for different applications. While current usage of RJ45 covers the connector only, not the pinout.

But even the telephone industry that created the RJ standard uses the RJ45 designation in ways that apparently aren't actually the standard. For example many T1 smart jacks present the signals to the user on an 8P8C which are always referenced as RJ45 jacks.

Aside from discussions like this, and a rare technical document for high end connectors, I don't think I have ever heard/seen them referenced as 8P8C.