Light-O-Rama Forums

24 x 25 Pixel Tree and 8 Row Globe

Ron Boyd

Well I'm commited to a second pixel tree for 2014. I have the pixels ordered for the tree, picking up some for the globe this weekend and I just ordered the 2 hemispheres for the 8 row globe.

So, along with the 16 leg 180 degree tree I had this year, I will also have a 24 string by 25 pixel, 360 degree tree for 2014. When the wife says she wants another pixel tree, the wife will get another pixel tree. Happy wife, happy life, right?

Now, I got to get back to figuring out the sequencing.

Quick question for Brian, in the videos of this tree on your site, are those done with the clear or the white split wire loom? I still have to order that stuff.

Well I'm commited to a second pixel tree for 2014. I have the pixels ordered for the tree, picking up some for the globe this weekend and I just ordered the 2 hemispheres for the 8 row globe.

So, along with the 16 leg 180 degree tree I had this year, I will also have a 24 string by 25 pixel, 360 degree tree for 2014. When the wife says she wants another pixel tree, the wife will get another pixel tree. Happy wife, happy life, right?

Now, I got to get back to figuring out the sequencing.

Quick question for Brian, in the videos of this tree on your site, are those done with the clear or the white split wire loom? I still have to order that stuff.

Mr. B:

His first version of the tree was with clear split wire loom. His latest is with white. I used the clear myself. He does have a video on how they are made.

Mr. B:

His first version of the tree was with clear split wire loom. His latest is with white. I used the clear myself. He does have a video on how they are made.

After making mine, I watch his video and reworked my whole setup after I took my show down.

Yeah I'll watch the video and he did have a little section near the show the differences but I was wanting to see what they look like in real world situation using both white and clear

How did you re work the whole setup?

Initially I used the clear wire loom and that is what you see in this first demo video:

I then had to remove the clear wire loom and insert the pixels into white wire loom, it was a lot of work. And I found out that the plastic used for white wire loom is stiffer and harder to work with. And with the white wire loom, the front strands can block the back strands and make it look like I didn't sequence the back strands properly. Nevertheless, I think I prefer the look of the white wire loom myself, it is a matter of personal preference:

On my original, I zip tied the pixel string about every 4 feet. It looked pretty good, but when I reworked them, I did what Brain did in his video. Marked every 5-1/2 inches and zip tied each pixel pointing upward then reinstalled the wire loom. I keep the translucent wire loom, I didn't change to the white.

It is a plastic tube with a slit cut down the side. It's normal use is to bundle a bunch of wires together. I put the CCPs inside of a 1" diameter wire loom in order to diffuse the light and it also makes them easier to store because they don't get tangled. Here is a video:

I prefer the look of the white, but clear looks good as well. And with the clear you can see through it and see the back strands better, and the plastic that the clear is made from is more pliable so it is easier to put the CCPs inside of them.