Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini vs LED what are your thoughts?

thebaronn

Hello!

I have worked out the math for my light show (i think). I have put up only a few strands of lights and the rest are in boxes. I started thinking about LEDs when I noticed that the house I just started renting HAS NO OUTSIDE OUTLETS!! Wow! That was a pretty sweet revelation. I have determined that for the 3 LOR 16 channel controllers I have coming (just got the ship notification today, booyah!) I will have extension cords running out of every window in the house!! (Yeah my wife is real happy abou that).

So I started doing research on LEDs and they seem like a fantastic way to go. I was wondering of those who use them, where have you purchased them? I was looking at this website:

http://www.christmas-lights-online.com/departments.asp?dept=84

So i was working on this speadsheet which tells me the total amps for each channel and controller. I noticed that if I switch to LED (assuming my math is correct) that i can run my entire show for 5.448 amps.

What are your thoughts?

Attached files light amps.zip

thebaronn wrote:

Hello!

I have worked out the math for my light show (i think). I have put up only a few strands of lights and the rest are in boxes. I started thinking about LEDs when I noticed that the house I just started renting HAS NO OUTSIDE OUTLETS!! Wow! That was a pretty sweet revelation. I have determined that for the 3 LOR 16 channel controllers I have coming (just got the ship notification today, booyah!) I will have extension cords running out of every window in the house!! (Yeah my wife is real happy abou that).

So I started doing research on LEDs and they seem like a fantastic way to go. I was wondering of those who use them, where have you purchased them? I was looking at this website:

http://www.christmas-lights-online.com/departments.asp?dept=84

So i was working on this speadsheet which tells me the total amps for each channel and controller. I noticed that if I switch to LED (assuming my math is correct) that i can run my entire show for 5.448 amps.

What are your thoughts?

Another good source for amp/controller load calculations is the great spreadsheet that Rick put together: http://quartzhillchristmas.com/12.html

Tom

This may be a stupid question:

If all lights are connected to the controllers and i turn every channel on and i have no problems with fuses or circuit breakers; this means that I am good to go right?

That may seem stupid, but i just want to make sure

thebaronn wrote:

If all lights are connected to the controllers and i turn every channel on and i have no problems with fuses or circuit breakers; this means that I am good to go right?

That is a good test. You should be fine!

thebaronn wrote:

That is a good test. You should be fine!

one thing to watch out for, if you are using all pre-existing outlets, is what else is wired to the same circuit as the outlet you are using. The above test may work fine, until you go and make toast or use the microwave or put on a pot of coffee, even in another room.

LED's would likely elimanate your electrical problem altogether, along with reducing your electric bill and your carbon footprint BUT LED's can leave a huge footprint on your wallet in the short term.

Sweet! That's what i want to hear!

Im good on that. The oven and ALL outlets in my kitchen are on one breaker!

LOL! I cant make toast, and use the oven and the microwave @ the same time as it is!

I called an electrician friend and he looked at it and he is the one that said it would be cheaper to use the LED light than rewire the POS house! Its just old!